Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Abstract processes - how much energy do we expend here - how does this impact executable progress?

My personal opinion.

Does not necessarily impact executable progress as executable currently is
progressing in parallel and has its own critical path.  We could further
decouple.

While I understand the need to solve the executable BPEL problems and get
the spec for executable BPEL out, and I am therefore sympathetic to the idea
of decoupling, I can also see that without it people will have some
difficulties - and at first may try to 'bend' executable BPEL to abstract
BPEL uses.  This may actually work to some extent as I currently see the two
as being close syntax wise though the uses can be fairly different.  While I
think there is a whole spectrum of abstract possibilities and executable
(but non runnable) possibilities through to runnable executable processes
and many different use cases as presented by Phil, Ivana and captured in the
informal group on abstract processes temporary document, I think the main
ones have been outlined by Satish - and they will not go away.  That is in
one direction you want to design a process, you start of with the essentials
only (an abstract process) and incrementally develop it  maybe with hand
offs to different designers until you have an executable process that runs
and does all that you want it to.  In the other direction you have an
executable process (or code and you derive and executable BPEL process from
that) and you want to share it with a partner so that they do the inverse
(in terms of messages i.e. they receive when you send and send when you
receive), but want to keep some of the detail of what you are actually doing
under the hood confidential.

BPEL sometime, and it should be simpler than executable.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Home: 35, Wimborne Avenue, IPSWICH  IP3  8QW
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
 amfletcher@iee.org     (also tony.fletcher@talk21.com  &
tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com)