Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Allowing a new process instance to be created by"pick onAlarm until"

Ugo Corda wrote:

>Dieter,
>Of course my proposal is not to force you to use a pick to schedule a
>process. You would still be able to do it "the normal way" if you want,
>using your system management tool. (Not sure what you mean by "normal",
>by the way - In BPEL the "normal way" to instantiate a process is for a
>partner to send a message to a receive or a pick).

Of course, a BPEL engine can send such initiating messages, not such
partners. This gives us all the flexibility we need within BPEL to
create scheduler applications of many types.

>I am proposing to add a capability that would allow process designers to
>make the scheduling behavior visible and documented in the process
>itself if they so wish.

Self-scheduling processes are in general a bad thing. Scheduling is a
separate concern from the process logic itself. The fact that one must
alter the process definition in order to alter the scheduling policy is
indicative of inappropriate coupling between the two. I suggest that we
not burden BPEL with features that encourage poor practices.

-Ron