Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 123 - Matching <reply> with <receive>

Yaron,

The only concern I have with keeping B is not that it will hurt *when understood correctly*, but that it will be misunderstood as having more significance than it does.  BPEL4WS is rife with opportunities for "creative interpretation" as you have discovered, and one of the goals we need to have is to "tighten the bolts" if we hope for truly interchangeable process metadata with predictable semantics.  Leaving bolts that look like they are holding something together when they are not does not help that cause.

Satish

-----Original Message-----
From: Yaron Y. Goland [mailto:ygoland@bea.com]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 10:05 AM
To: Francisco Curbera
Cc: Satish Thatte; Eckenfels. Bernd; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

+1

I think condition B is an unnecessary restriction.

Predicting the future is a hazardous business and one we should avoid if
at all possible. As you said yourself Satish "A somewhat harmless and
also rather useless freedom." The declaration of it being 'harmless'
means that we won't be hurt by getting rid of B. But the declaration of
'useless' requires predicting the future. Following the standards
equivalent of 'do not harm' I think we should just get rid of B and that
way allow for future extensions in ways we hadn't thought of. I could
understand keeping B if it hurt other things but again, you said it
yourself, it's harmless.

		Yaron