Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 120 - What are the semantics when an initial<receive> has no correlation set?

It occurs to me that we can break this problem down a little more.

One can trivially imagine a web service that consists of exactly one
request/response pair that receives a message, processes it, sends a
response and exits. Such a webservice would have no need to use
correlation sets. Therefore I think we can be sure that at a minimum we
want to make it possible to define a BPEL that has a single start
activity with no correlation set that doesn't create a singleton.

What this argues to me is that the default interpretation of a BPEL with
a start activity with no correlation set is that it is not a singleton.

Therefore what 120 really should be about is - do we want to
intentionally add an attribute or other mechanism to specify that a BPEL
process is intended to be a singleton?

We already know we can simulate a singleton in BPEL by having an
instance with a start activity that is only known to the deployment
environment and then having all subsequent messages sent to the single
BPEL instance. But I readily admit that this is a less than clean
solution. It is best when possible to directly express one's semantics.

So I think we can then rephrase the issue once again to - Is it worth
defining explicit singleton behavior in BPEL 2.0 (or whatever we call it)?

To which, given our other priorities, I think the answer is no. But I
realize that my answer is just a matter of opinion.

	Just my two cents,

		Yaron