Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 6 - Rough draft of proposal for vote

Axel,

I find the idea interesting. In fact, I was discussing the completion condition issue with Dieter Koenig during the last f2f meeting and his suggestion was also to try to resolve this issue using links. And we identified that several changes need to be done, including removing restriction for jonCondition, that "the join condition is evaluated as soon as all incoming links of the activity are determined" - so definitely "immediate" semantics needs to be introduced.

I have the following comments on your proposal.

1. In your proposal you are using a fault (bpws:forcedTermination) to terminate all active parallel branches. But this changes the outcome of the flow activity. It will always end abnormally and compensation handler (if it is defined) will never be installed. Although completion condition has evaluated to true and needed activities have completed the enclosing flow activity will end abnormally. Is this really intended semantics?

2. Your proposal does not address some pain points. For example, in case of "N out of M", N<M there many possible "variations":

(A) One enclosed activity may experience problems but the <flow> activity may succeed

(B) One of enclosed activities may experience a severe error, which may have impact on the <flow> activity

The question is what to do with running activities? In the latter case, reasonable behavior would be: if one enclosed activity does not succeed other running activities should be cancelled and the flow activity should try to recover. In the former case, we should allow active parallel activities to complete their work. This is not supported in your proposal.

Regards,

Ivana