Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 115 - RE: [wsbpel] appendix C revision

Dear Paco,

We strongly agree that Appendix C, in some form, has great value in
tersely (and pictorially) summarizing the interactions surrounding
compensatory scopes. We think one would lose a great deal more than
extra text to review if it were excised altogether. Issues 6, 135 and
142 are all usefully illuminated by this. We have also found Appendix C
useful in discussing, designing, interfacing and implementing
distributed coordination of process-driven services, and would recommend
its retention. Vendors who desire to create federated or fully
distributed BPEL implementations will benefit, we believe, from this
helpful and concise view on the content of the normative spec.

The changes we made (beyond removing the term "WS-BA") boil down to

a) clarifying the meaning of "local" vs "distributed" in this context
b) changing the names of messages/states to correspond to their ordinary
names in BPEL
c) aligning the diagram with the normative text of the specification as
it has developed during the TC's work, and with the original text of the
Appendix (with which it was previously at some variance). The original
diagram derived from WS-BA (2002) was inadequate, and also does not
reflect the current WS-BA draft.

On your two specific points:

1. Either we go the whole hog, and (as you suggest) specify all the
messages required for a distributed coordination protocol, which would
permit implementation of a BPEL process engine as a federation of
independently existing processing units, which neither share state nor
can be assumed to be failure-coupled. Or, we take the route of the
original Appendix C, and omit messages which are needed to resynchronize
in the event of failures. We chose to stick as closely as possible to
the original Appendix C. We have no problem with going the whole hog, if
that makes things clearer or more complete.

2. On exit handling: the key point is that a nested scope can still
unilaterally exit, either rethrowing its fault as it does so, or
containing the fault, and reporting that the inner scope has completed
erroneously. These two paths to the Ended state now travel through a new
state, Faulting, which was introduced in order to elucidate the textual
point (bullet 2 of the original appendix/ bullet 3 of our revision) that
either route to Ended must begin with the raising of an internal fault,
breaking the inner scope out of its Active state. In other words, we
separated Active into Running and Faulting, to make the genesis of these
transitions clear. There is no loss of content or functionality, only
greater precision and alignment with the specification as a whole, and
the appendix in particular.

Yours,

Alastair and Peter