Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 166 - Let's try it again

I have reviewed the mails on this thread and below I map out the
positions I have seen various people take:

*--Assign has ACID semantics (names of supporters)
  |  |
  |  ---- Yaron's Goal Based Proposal [1] - (Yaron & Ron)
  |  |
  |  ---- Ron's Detailed Definition [2] - (Frank)
  |  |
  |  ---- Current Language Is Fine [3] - (Dieter, Andrew)

  --Assign is only atomic regarding the output, not ACID

     ---- Current Language Is Fine [4] - (Danny)

     ---- We need to add nested serializable scopes [5] -
              (Suggested by Alex but not necessarily supported by him)

I believe that Assaf and Bernd fall into the first branch of the tree
(Assign is ACID) but I haven't seen them support any particular proposal.

Alex hasn't come down for any particular proposal so I don't know where
in the tree he falls.

That means 7 people believe that assign is ACID but can't agree on how
that should be expressed in the spec and 1 person who believes that
assign is atomic only with respect to the output part of the assign
operation.

Should we have a straw poll on the question of ACID versus atomic or can
we agree that the majority believes that assign has ACID semantics and
move forward on that basis?

If we can move forward on that basis then the issue with the current
language becomes editorial and we can close issue 166 and ask the
editors team to make the spec language more explicit.

		Yaron

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200410/msg00011.html and
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200410/msg00046.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200410/msg00015.html and