Subject: issue process updates

I wanted to make everyone aware of a couple items related to our issue process.

To help keep us organized as we tackle complex issues where the solution can be factored into pieces, we've added the ability to create sub items on our issues list (thanks as always to Peter).  If you are working on a piece of an existing issue, please provide a description to him so he can open it as a "dot release". This will result in a new issue with the existing issue number followed by ".x" where the x is the number of subissues including this one.  In proposing subissues, keep in mind that there should be no overlap with the remainder of the issue or other subissues (otherwise, its not a discrete piece that can be solved separately).  Also, since this is being done to better track partial solutions to existing issues, new subissues will not need to go through the new issue vote.

At the face to face meeting, it was suggested that we should "raise the bar" for proposed resolutions to include more specifics on the changes they would require in the spec.  It was generally agreed that we should encourage those writing resolutions to observe this intent and that different options for how this might be accomplished.  The following list of best practices were discussed.  Note that they would not all apply to a given resolution, submitters may choose to use them, or other members can request that they do so.  None of these are normative - these do not restrict members from making motions and requesting votes (they may help those motions get passed more easily though! ;-)  )
Best practices for proposals to close issues as discussed at f2f:
–        Describe the effect of a proposal on spec, not exact wording
•        Include at least specific sections with concept of change
•        Example changes should be included
–        Request input from spec editing team
        This might involve a request for assistance on a proposal before submitting it or asking them for input during the discussion
–        New issues being opened should contain the proposed solution, not necessarily text
•        Apply this to new non-bug issues - any bug that is found should be identified without constraining the originator to identify the solution
–        Two stage voting – approve concept then text  (note, this is similar to what we've been doing in that we approve resolutions without line for line reviews of the text and approve the final text when its incorporated in the spec)
–        Don’t mark issues closed till in spec
–        Change voting to yes, no, more work required/send to spec editing team

 If there are questions, we can discuss via email or on the call next week.

Regards, Diane
IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709