Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 82 - Proposal to resolve 82 and other abstract process issues

I wanted to add a few comments to what Peter and Rania have said.  A
think their proposals are going in the right direction and are the right
basis for providing a notion of abstract processes that is actually
useful.  Here is how I understand the underlying logic of these
proposals

1.	We are not going to invent any new constructs with new semantics
for abstract processes.  The only constructs that have defined meaning
are the constructs of executable processes, and that meaning is defined
by the prescribed behavior of the executable process as a whole, and is
thus not directly available outside an executable process.

2.	Abstract processes exist to address situations where a complete
executable process cannot be provided.  We add a notion of "opaque" to
abstract processes not as a new semantically meaningful construct but as
a syntactic device for indicating incompleteness.  As such, "opaque"
entities have no semantics of their own.

3.	Abstract processes are *incomplete* and non-executable by
definition, whether or not they contain opaque entities.  Therefore the
semantics of the non-opaque constructs they contain cannot be understood
in isolation from the relationship of the abstract process with the
executable *completions* it permits.  The reason being that the
semantics of those constructs actually exists only in the possible
executable completions.  As an edge case, a permitted completion may
sometimes be identical to the abstract process syntactically, but this
is the exception rather than the rule.

The last point is crucial in understanding the importance of the
amendments Rania has proposed.  The biggest technical difficulty we had
in the abstract process working group was that we could not agree on a
common notion of permitted completions.  And in retrospect this is not
surprising because the correct notion depends on the use case involved.
As a corollary, it is perfectly possible that a certain abstract process
use case may require syntactic constraints on the usage of executable
constructs in defining that type of abstract process.  Let me illustrate
with a few examples.

In point 3 above I have in a sense contradicted Peter's last point
(point [5]) on the semantics of abstract processes.  I will come back to
this point again at the end of this note to clarify how we can restore
the spirit of Peter's point.  The reason to start with a narrow
interpretation is precisely that without it as the *basis*, it is not
possible to attach semantics to the constructs used in abstract
processes at all, as I pointed out in point 3 above.  Further, I will
define the completions syntactically:  a completion is allowed to
replace opaque entities with concrete ones and it is permitted to add
entirely new activities and their required collateral (such as variables
and partnerLinks) wherever syntactically possible.  I believe a formal
version of this notion of syntactic completion should be added to
Peter's set of base definitions because it is crucial in defining the
semantics of all use cases.

Now for the examples.  Among other things, the examples illustrate how
straightforward the notion of a usage profile for abstract processes can
be.

If an abstract process is meant to fully represent the externally
observable behavior of a complete executable process along a set of
partnerLinks, then the permitted executable completions of this abstract
process cannot allow the addition of web services interactions using the
partnerLinks mentioned in the abstract process, even as replacements for
opaque activities.  This excludes a subset of syntactic completions from
the set permitted in this use case.  Further, if we narrow the use case
to the externally observable behavior along a single partnerLink, in
effect the behavior of a party in the conversation represented by the
partnerLink, then one would syntactically restrict the abstract process
to contain exactly one globally declared partnerLink.  This excludes
certain syntactically possible abstract processes from the set of
meaningful abstract processes for this use case.

Now take the template use case.  The simplest interpretation permits all
syntactic completions.  But a stricter interpretation may permit only
the replacement of opaque entities and forbid the addition of entirely
new activities.  The latter is a case where the points of incompleteness
are completely specified by using opaque entities.

What these examples show is that the specification of constraints on
completion, and in some cases constraints on the syntactic form of
abstract processes, are essential in providing meaning to the use of
abstract processes in specific usage contexts.  The reason to provide a
notion of usage profiles is that we do not want to be narrow minded and
anoint a single use case as the canonical one.  But conversely, not
providing the means to specify which use case is intended would be very
damaging in that it would make the interpretation of the intended
meaning of an abstract process impossible.

Now to come back to Peter's point [5].  This is an important notion in
that syntactic completions are often too narrow a constraint on
practical implementation.  They are definitional but we can loosen
permitted practice *so long as there is no observable difference in
behavior*.  But note that this distinction is especially important for
the observable behavior use case rather than the template one.

Satish