Subject: RE: [wsbpel] [uddi-spec] WS-BPEL TN scope OK - but how about working with us on a B2B collaboration TN?

Steve,

Thank you for your comments re WS-CDL.   We see UN/CEFACT UMM as the
technology neutral reference model that will be the source of collaboration
semantics.  BPSS is just one "deployment technology" for a UMM model (albeit
one the fits very well!).  However we also recognise that the WS-**
collection of specifications will continue to gain traction and so we are
very keen to support a WS-** deployment for a UMM model.   To that end I
would be happy to work on a mapping from UMM to WS-CDL - and from there to
registry meta-data (but the model to specification mapping has to come first
because that's where the semantics are defined..).

This is where the different between ebXML specifications and WS-**
specifications becomes more obvious:  ebXML was a top-down approach from the
beginning and so all the specifications map fairly naturally to the
reference model.  WS-** is more of a bottom-up collection of protocols and,
so far as I can see, nobody has yet done a great job of defining some rules
about the assembly of a set of WS-** protocols to meet the business
requirements of collaboration or transaction models.  It is fairly easy to
go from a UMM and CCTS model to BPSS, template CPA, and XSD that (taken
together) completely define multiparty collaborations including detailed
technology bindings -which are then deployable on ebXML MS.  To do the same
thing in the WS-** world requires the assembly of lots more specifications -
many of which are still in the IBM/MSFT proprietary specification domain.
As a minimum it seems to me that I would need to assemble:
Runtime:
	SOAP (with attachments)
	WS-Security
	WS-Reliable Messaging
	WS-Addressing
	WS-Coordintation
	WS-Atomic Transaction
Meta-Data
	WSDL
	WS-BPEL (assy or port types to define one role)
	WS-CDL (multi-party collaboration)
	WS-Policy
	WS-Policy Assertions

Maybe WS-CDL can replace WS-Coordintation and WS-Atomic Transaction via a
set of transaction patters?  I just don’t know enough about WS-CDL yet. :-(

Anyway, what seems to be missing is a set of "standard" mappings to these
protocols from common business models.  For example, how would I deploy the
6 UMM transaction patterns using this set of WS-** protocols and what are
the semantics of the WS-Policy Assertions (or whatever..) that would define
that assembly?

Do you know of any work in this area?  If not then is the WS-CDL group
interested to work on the definition of some naming & design rules and
mapping rules that would permit a WS-CDL instance to be consistently
generated from a UMM collaboration model?

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not an ebXML bigot, I just find it much easier to
deploy a B2B architecture on ebXML because the rules are mostly already
there.  I do believe that WS-** will eventually dominate the technical
protocol space but I see no conflict between the UN/CEFACT eBusiness
Architecture and the WS-** protocols - just that nobody has done the mapping
work yet.

Regards,

Steve