Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 82 - Proposal to resolve 82 and other abstractprocess issues

The BPEL 1.1 specification defines a language, which it extends to
define executables and abstracts. People in this group indicated they
want more sets of restrictions layerd on top of the specification. Let's
call them profiles. I would expect us to add more profiles to the two
that already exists. Instead, we're going to have two profiles, and
create sub-profiles from one of those profiles.

We can branch into a more detailed discussion about a template profile,
look at specific use cases, etc. We can reach the conclusion that it's a
good thing, or a bad thing. But since we already decided to preclude it,
the use case becomes irrelevant.

Assaf

Charlton Barreto wrote:

> This is true in a sense, but my concern is that we as such are forced
> to deal with absBPEL having more variation - and thus more complexity
> -  than is needed.
>
> Overloading in this case definitely simplifies the scenario -
> overloading abstracts to support both cases would not necessarily
> lead  to unwanted restrictions
>
> On 14/12/2004, at 08:11, Assaf Arkin wrote:
>
>> I can imagine that during the lifecycle of a process definition, one
>> would want to exchange "incomplete" process definitions that do not
>> fully conform to BPEL semantics (executable or abstract). At the
>> moment the only technical requirement we have is satisfied by what
>> XML  defined as "well-formed XML". But assume that we reach a point
>> where  we want more specific restrictions and semantics, beyond
>> "readable/writeable XML document using BPEL elements". For example,
>> creating a "template" document type with specific semantics that
>> could  eventually be developed into an executable or abstract.
>

> I see this as feasible via use of templates at a high-level w.r.t.
> abstract. From Peter's proposal, I do not see where this would impeded.
>
>> We are concerned that overloading abstracts to support both cases
>> would lead to confusion, unwanted restrictions on future extensions,
>> and difficulty in understanding AP 1.1.
>

> How would this be the case? I agree that it requires deeper
> understanding w.r.t. absBPEL, but overloading places fewer
> restrictions  on future extensions than would adding profiles/dialects.
>
>> Further, it will be impossible to define a template for an abstract,
>> if such a template is called an abstract, as is the resulting
>> abstract, as is any template used to generate a process definition.
>

> If a template is written to either overloaded definition, this would
> be  the case. However, is this necessary? What would be the use case
> for  such a template? I'm not convinced that such a template is
> needed. With  respect to absBPEL, I see the use case as only
> warranting a looser  template definition. I feel this fits in nicely
> with the abstract level  that Peter's proposal aims to maintain.
>
> -Charlton.
>
>> Charlton Barreto wrote:
>>
>>> Satish,
>>>
>>> I believe the distinctions are orthogonal to one another, and that
>>> we   are looking at "wide" vs. "deep" vis-a-vis what can be
>>> accomplished   completely per the level (high and abstract vs. low
>>> and detailed). By   going "wide" and approaching the issue at a high
>>> enough level, as  per  Peter's proposal, we can provide a
>>> complete-enough abstract  definition.  Some tweaking of the
>>> definition for everyone's comfort  level may be  needed, but I feel
>>> that profiles takes us away from  "wide" and abstract  and
>>> introduces much complexity, which I feel to  be more than
>>> necessary.  I also feel that going too "deep" in the  interpretation
>>> framework, and  not sticking to the abstract level of  Peter's
> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Assaf Arkin
n:Arkin;Assaf
org:Intalio
adr;dom:;;1000 Bridge Parkway Ste 210;Redwood City;CA;94065
email;internet:arkin@intalio.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(650) 596-1800
x-mozilla-html:TRUE