Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 197: Un-initializing BPEL variables

In XML empty is still a content. An empty text node contains zero
characters. Different from nothing or null.

For example, if I have the expression concat($X,$Y) it is valid for Y to
be empty, and its reasonable for someone to set it to empty and be used.
$Y needs to have a value in this case and the expression need to evaluate.

Un-initialize will require its own construct, a) to not confuse between
empty and null, and b) since we currently do not allow null to be selected.

Assaf

Tony Fletcher wrote:

> This issue has been added to the wsbpel issue list with a status of
> "received". The status will be changed to "open" if the TC accepts it
> as identifying a bug in the spec or decides it should be accepted
> specially. Otherwise it will be closed without further consideration
> (but will be marked as "Revisitable")
>
> The issues list is posted as a Technical Committee document to the
> OASIS WSBPEL TC pages
> <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel> on a regular
> basis. The current edition, as a TC document, is the most recent
> version of the document entitled in the "Issues" folder of the WSBPEL
> TC document list
> <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/documents.php> -
> the next posting as a TC document will include this issue. The list
> editor's working copy, which will normally include an issue when it is
> announced, is available at this constant URL
> <http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html>.

>     Issue 197: Un-initializing BPEL variables
>
> *Status:* received
> *Date added:* 12 Mar 2005
> *Categories:* Data Handling
> <http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html#category_data_handling>
> *Date submitted:* 11 March 2004
> *Submitter:* Yaron Y. Goland <mailto:ygoland@bea.com>
> BPEL? What happens, for example, if one tries to assign a static from
> value that is empty? Should we allow for from-spec to be empty and
> have that mean that the target is uninitialized?
> *Submitter’s proposal:* Being able to un-initialize variables is a
> generically useful thing. It makes it clear when a variable doesn't
> contain a 'useful' value. So I think we should provide a way to
> un-initialize variables.
> *Changes:* 12 Mar 2005 - new issue

> Best Regards,
>
> Tony/ /
>
> / <http://www.choreology.com/>/
>

> Tony Fletcher
>
> Technical Advisor
> Choreology Ltd.
> 68, Lombard Street, London EC3V 9L J UK
>
> Phone:
>

> +44 (0) 1473 729537
>
> Mobile:
>

> +44 (0) 7801 948219//
>
> Fax:
>

> +44 (0) 870 7390077
>
> Web:
>

> /www.choreology.com <http://www.choreology.com/>/
>
> Cohesions™
>
> Business transaction management software for application coordination
>
> Work: tony.fletcher@choreology.com
>
> Home: amfletcher@iee.org <mailto:amfletcher@iee.org>

begin:vcard
fn:Assaf Arkin
n:Arkin;Assaf
org:Intalio
adr;dom:;;1000 Bridge Parkway Ste 210;Redwood City;CA;94065
email;internet:arkin@intalio.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(650) 596-1800
x-mozilla-html:TRUE