Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 29 - Proposal For Vote

Yaron Y. Goland wrote:

> The reference to XPATH 2.0 isn't relevant, XPATH 1.0 != XPATH 2.0.

For future reference, my e-mails are shorter and more to the point when
I quote the XPath 2.0 and only the XPath 2.0 specification, since that
version is much better organized and better articulated.

I assume that most members of this group will find the more
readable/concise text easier to follow, and that the few members who are
deeply interested in this subject can go and validate my statements
against the XPath 1.0 specification.

I will always point out if there are differences between the two specs
(see below).

> And at the end of the letter you point out yourself that you wouldn't
> want to use empty node-sets as the context but that is exactly what
> your proposal requires.

To further clarify, my proposal requires that you either pass an empty
root node (XPath 1.0) or an empty document node (XPath 2.0/XQuery 1.0)*
as the context node, in compliance with these specifications.

If it's still not clear, can you point out where I'm being confusing?

Assaf

* You should note the name difference between the two specs.

> [...]
>>  >>  >>> property are being accessed so there is no way to check if that
>>  >>  >>> variable is accessible from that point in the BPEL process
>>  >>  >>> definition or if the variable has the referenced property
>>  >> defined on
>>  >>  >>> it. Even worse (in my mind anyway) is that the previous
>> plays havoc
>>  >>  >>> with optimizations for compensation handling. If the previous
>>  >>  >>> function was contained within a compensation handler then there
>>  >>  >>> would be no way to know what variable was being accessed and
>> so the
>>  >>  >>> BPEL process would have no choice but to persist all variables
>>  >>  >>> visible from the compensation handler, major yuck!
>>  >>  >>>     We have in the past altered XPATH in order to suit our
>> needs.
>>  >>  >>> For example, in some BPEL expressions we have banned the use
>> of the
>>  >>  >>> global context node, a node whose presence is actually
>> mandated by
>>  >>  >>> the XPATH specification. If we are willing to change XPATH that
>>  >> much
>>  >>  >>> I see no reason not to change it here as well. In for a
>> dime, in
>>  >> for
>>  >>  >>> a dollar.
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>  >>> Section 9.1 -
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>  >>> Add a new paragraph after the following paragraph "Any
>> qualified
>>  >>  >>> names used within XPath expressions are resolved by using
>> namespace
>>  >>  >>> declarations currently in scope in the WS-BPEL document at the
>>  >>  >>> location of the expression.":
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>  >>> The arguments to all XPATH functions defined in this
>> specification
>>  >>  >>> MUST be given as quoted strings. The previous requirement
>> MUST be
>>  >>  >>> statically enforced. It is therefore illegal to pass into a
>> BPEL
>>  >>  >>> XPATH function any XPATH variables, the output of XPATH
>>  >> functions, a
>>  >>  >>> XPATH location path or any other value that is not a quoted
>> string.
>>  >>  >>> This means, for example, that
>> getVariableProperty("varA","propB")
>>  >>  >>> meets the previous requirement while
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>
>> getVariableProperty($varA,string(getVariableProperty("varB","propB"))
>>  >>  >>> does not. Note that the previous requirement institutes a
>>  >>  >>> restriction which does not exist in the XPATH standard.
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>  >>>
>>  >>
>>  >>  >>> For additional commands, e-mail:

begin:vcard
fn:Assaf Arkin
n:Arkin;Assaf
org:Intalio
adr;dom:;;1000 Bridge Parkway Ste 210;Redwood City;CA;94065
email;internet:arkin@intalio.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(650) 596-1800
x-mozilla-html:TRUE