Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 6.2 - Proposal For Vote

Alex,

The current answers to your questions re Example #1 is NO for both

  • Will the terminationHandler of scope "A" be activated?
  • Should the compensation handler of scope "B1SS1" be invoked? Which "handler" logic is responsible to determine that?

The flow is completed successfully so A just proceeds, it is not terminated.  This is not a problem, I believe this is what you intend for early completion.

The premature termination of a sequence does not involve any backward work, hence no compensation for B1SS1.  And if the branch were a scope this issue would not arise.  But of course, scope can be used consciously by the process designer if one does not like this behavior.  The question is, do we believe the process designer should be *forced* to express their intentions for premature termination handling explicitly by enforcing a scope boundary for each branch so that the termination behavior for each branch must be defined either by defining a termination handler or by consciously choosing to omit it thereby invoking default behavior (which would then cause compensation for B1SS1).  In other words the issue is not so much “is the behavior well-defined” — the issue is “should we protect the naļve process designer from unintended pitfalls by enforcing a scope boundary for branches that may be prematurely terminated by early completion”.

I am so far carefully avoiding expressing any opinions on this whole issue (issue 6) and I will continue in that vein for the moment ;-)

Satish

From: Alex Yiu [mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 1:23 PM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Trickovic, Ivana; Alex Yiu

Hi all,

Ivana and I were still discussing an open technical issue about this 6.2 proposal. That is: whether branches of <flow> should be restricted to a scope-based only when <completionCondition> / earlyCompletion is used.

However, since there is a Apr 1st deadline for proposal submission, it may be better to submit the proposal on what was drafted so far without waiting to resolve this open issue. And, let other people comment on this open issue.

Here is my detailed viewpoints and analysis we need a scoped-only restriction when early completion is used:

Scope-based-only branches restriction for early completion is needed, because:

  • early completion mechanics does not change fundamentally regardless whether we are using <complete> activity or <completionCondition>
  • we need a scope to encapsulate activities of branch as "units of work" to minimize the need of defining <completionHandler>
  • a partial termination of a scope is NOT well-defined in BPEL, while termination of the whole scope is already well-defined in BPEL spec.

How termination mechanism works in BPEL:
Here is my understanding of how the termination mechanism in BPEL works:  When a scope is sent with a termination signal, the targeted scope will: (1) cascade the termination signal inner child scopes (2) stop all the inner activities within the targeted scope (3) execute the termination handler. Then, done.

As of now, the termination signal MUST alway go through a scope to other NON-scope activity. And, the termination Handler of the corresponding scope MUST got activated.

Hence, termination of the whole scope is well defined. However, a partial termination of a scope is NOT well-defined. That is we have not defined:

  • what should happen if some branches got terminated, while some branches are completed.
  • what should happen if the termination signal to sent to NON-scope activities without going through a <scope>.

Example #1

Consider the following, a flow with two sequence as branches, which is NOT scope-based.

<scope name="A">
    <flow>
       <completionCondition> ... </completionCondition>
       <sequence name="B1">
           <scope name="B1SS1"> ... </scope>
           <receive name="B1R2" ... />
       </sequence>
       <sequence name="B2">
           <scope name="B2SS1"> ... </scope>
           <receive name="B2R2" ... />

       </sequence>
    </flow>
</scope>

Say, sequence "B2" finishes. The completionCondition is fulfilled.  Sequence "B1" is being terminated when it is waiting a message at the receive "B1R2". Now, we  got the following  questions unanswered, if we don't want to invent a brand variation of termination mechanism:

  • Will the terminationHandler of scope "A" be activated?
  • Should the compensation handler of scope "B1SS1" be invoked? Which "handler" logic is responsible to determine that?

Ok. Let's change it into scope-based branches.

<scope name="A">
    <flow>
       <completionCondition> ... </completionCondition>
       <scope name="B1">
           <terminationHandler> ... </terminationHandler>
           <sequence>
               <scope name="B1SS1"> ... </scope>
               <receive name="B1R2" ... />
           </sequence>
       </scope>
       <scope name="B2">
           <terminationHandler> ... </terminationHandler>
           <sequence>
               <scope name="B2SS1"> ... </scope>
               <receive name="B2R2" ... />
           </sequence>
       </scope>

    </flow>
</scope>

The above questions got answered clearly, with reusing the current termination mechanism easily:

  • Will the terminationHandler of scope "A" be activated?
    • No.
  • Should the compensation handler of scope "B1SS1" be invoked? Which "handler" logic is responsible to determine that?
    • It is up to the terminationHandler to decide whether to invoke the compensation handler of scope "B1SS1". By default, the terminationHandler of scope "B1" will invoke that compensation handler.

Hence, we minimize the need of "completionHandler". I hope I have refreshed your memory on why we come up with this scope-based branches. (Regardless we use <complete> activity or not).

Example #2

One important to remember: <flow> only controls the parallelism of execution. It does not interfere the compensation and termination structure of a process.

--------------------------------
<scope name="EX2A">
    <sequence>
       <sequence name="EX2B1">
           <scope name="EX2B1SS1"> ... </scope>
           <receive name="EX2B1R2" ... />
       </sequence>
       <sequence name="EX2B2">
           <scope name="EX2B2SS1"> ... </scope>
           <receive name="EX2B2R2" ... />
       </sequence>
    </sequence>
</scope>
--------------------------------

Say, the execution is waiting at receive "EX2B2R2". Now due to early completion, we need to do this "partial" termination magic. We don't have a well-defined way to terminate sequence "EX2B2" without affecting sequence "EX2B1". Similarly, we don't have a well-defined way to terminate sequence "EX2B2" without affecting "EX2B2SS1"

Now think again, if we have scope-based-only branches, all activities are separated in units-of-work. Now those branches have independent compensation and termination structure now.

Last not least, if we map this early completion idea to transaction world, it does not seem like a good idea to allow partial transaction-work rollback (mapped to termination & compensation) without any units-of-work boundary marker or checkpoints (mapped to <scope>).

Thanks!!!
Thank you so much for reading this long email!

Trickovic, Ivana wrote:

Motivation
===========
The current semantics of the flow activity is that it completes when all
its (directly) nested activities have completed, either successfully or
unsuccessfully. However, there are scenarios where it is necessary to
have ability to complete the flow activity before all its nested
activities complete in order to speed up the process execution. For
example, a process waits in parallel for 3 reviews of a paper. If 2
positive reviews are received the process may continue with the
execution without waiting for the last, third response.

The completion condition of may have the following flavors:
* Wait for N out of M nested activities to complete
* Wait until after boolean condition C evaluates to true

The completion condition is interesting for a flow activity enclosing
identical nested activities and for the parallel for-each activity
(still under discussion).

Proposal
=========

Syntax:

<flow standard-attributes>
        standard-elements
      <links>?
         <link name="ncname">+
      </links>
      <completionCondition>?
      activity+
</flow>

<completionCondition>
      <branches expressionLanguage="URI"?
               countCompletedBranchesOnly="yes|no"?>
          an-integer-expression
      </branches>?
      <booleanExpression expressionLanguage="URI"?>
          a-boolean-expression
      </booleanExpression>?
</completionCondition>

Semantics:

(1) The completionCondition element is an optional element of the flow
activity. Default behavior of the flow activity is that it waits for all
its nested activities to complete.

(2) There are two kinds of completion condition:
A> <booleanExpression>: A boolean condition operating upon process
variables. It is evaluated at the end of execution of each nested
activity.
B> <branches>: An integer value expression which is used to define
condition of flavor N out of M. It is evaluated at the end of execution
of each nested activity. This condition has "at least N out of M"
semantics. (The exact N out of M condition semantics involve resolving
racing condition among nested activities.)

(3) Both conditions (<branches> and <booleanExpression>) may be
specified at the same time. They will be evaluated at the end of
execution of each nested activity. If at least one condition evaluates
to true the <flow> activity completes successfully terminating all
remaining running nested activities. If both conditions are specified,
the <branches> will be evaluated first. If the boolean condition is
specified the evaluation of the condition is done in a serialized
fashion with respect to the nested activities directly enclosed in the
flow activity.

(4) If the integer value evaluated from the <branches> expression is
larger than the number of nested activities in the <flow>, then
bpws:invalidBranchCondition fault MUST be thrown. Note that the number
of branches may be known only during runtime in some cases. Static
analysis should be encouraged to detect this erroneous situation at
design time when possible. (E.g. when the branches expression is a
constant.)

(5) <branches> expression has an optional attribute
"countCompletedBranchesOnly". Its default value is "no". If
countCompletedBranchesOnly is "no", it means the BPEL processor will
count branches which have completed (either successfully or
unsuccessfully). If countCompletedBranchesOnly is "yes", it means the
BPEL processor will count branches which have completed successfully
only.

(6) If flow activity specifies a completionCondition element the
completion condition is evaluated each time a nested activity completes.
If the completion condition evaluates to true the flow activity
completes successfully. All still running nested activities will be
terminated.

(7) Standard BPEL termination semantics applies to running nested
activities when the completion condition is met. The termination of
running nested activities follows the termination semantics defined in
the specification (see section 13.4.4 Semantics of Activity
Termination).

(8) If all nested activities of the flow activity have been completed
but the completion condition evaluates to false the
"bpws:completionConditionFailure" MUST be thrown by the flow activity.

(end)