Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - why <copy create="yes"> is instrincally interwinedwith XPath

I think we all understand that binding each query language requires
clarifying many language specific issues; I just don't see how that
argument plays against the "create" proposal. Alex made specific
observations about how the particular XPath binding should be clarified; I
don't see anything substantial that would prevent the proposal from being
refined to deal with them.

If, for example, we need to clarify that only XPath expressions that
returns a single node are valid, then, well, we have to do that using XPath
specific language - I don't get what is the big deal. The fact is that many
activities already depend on the use of a query language, and that usually
means that the execution semantics cannot be fully determine until one
language is selected, even if the overall general behavior of the activity
is common across languages.

As I sadi before, I think this proposal is our best chance to get something
reasonable done for issue 11. IMO, the only acceptable alternative would be
to close with no change.

Paco

                      Alex Yiu
                      <alex.yiu@oracle.        To:       chris.keller@active-endpoints.com
                      com>                     cc:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                               Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - why <copy create="yes"> is instrincally interwined
                      05/10/2005 12:58          with XPath
                      AM

Chris,

It is of course possible to come up with a similar semantics in some other
non-XPath languages. (I need to stress that I use the word "similar" and
"some", not "same" and "all")

But, the question is: How does one come up with one single, portable and
universal description which is applicable to all programming languages that
we can think of?

The BPEL base specification MUST  provide a universal, clear and
expression-language-independent description to state:
      what are the expected behavior of this "create" feature
      what expression language patterns are supported and what are not
      supported with this feature.

Without this description, this "create" feature is basically NON-portable
to other expression language.

For javascript, we basically need to re-describe the semantics in some sort
of Javascript terminology by saying something like:

      getElement(“a”) should return one node, while getElement(“b”,10)
      returns zero node.
      [Disclaimer: I am no Javascript expert. My terminologies used above
      are probably wrong. Let me switch to Java and XQuery for other
      examples.]

Chris, few questions for you (some of them are already stated in my
previous email) before we move forward:

[A]
How do you resolve "Parent Location Ambiguity" problem that I stated in my
previous email without referencing to any XPath terminology? How do you
resolve that problem with an expression-language independent description?

[B]
Even if we stay within the pure XPath world, it was not clearly enough
stated that which XPath expression patterns are supported and which are not
supported. If not supported, why?

Can we support "/abc//def/ghi[3]", as long as "/abc//def" returns one
element node? If not, why?
Do we support "/abc/def/ghi[@abc='fff'][3]"?
Do we support "/abc/def[@abc='fff']/ghi[3]"? If not, why?

And, how do you describe what XPath expression patterns are supported or
not supported without hardwiring your proposal to XPath terms and concepts?
And, did you already use quite a few of XPath terms in your proposal  to do
that?

[C]
Instead of covering the infinite universe of programming languages, could
you come up with a single, universal but clear description to at least
cover the following cases?

(1) someone uses Java with JAXB embedded within BPEL:
See:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/jaxb/index.html
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/jaxb/CollectionType.java

e.g.:
<to>
javaVariableForCollectionType.getBooks().getBook().get(3)
</to>

How do we say:
"javaVariableForCollectionType.getBooks().getBook().get(3)" return null
while
javaVariableForCollectionType.getBooks().getBook()" return a non-null
java.util.List object?
WITHOUT referencing to Java terminologies?

(2) someone uses XQuery embedded within BPEL

e.g.:
<to>
{ (for $b in $collectionTypeVar1/book
  where $b/price > 200
  order by $b/price ) }[3]
</to>

Is the "where" and "order by" clause in XQuery supported, when this
"create" feature is used?

Please note: XPath does not have the order-by capabilities, while XQuery
has.

Another important note:

NOT All programming languages have the same XML capabilities. Even within
one programming language, there may be multiple ways to access XML data.

Example #1: There are other ways to expose XML data in Java other than
JAXB. How about just pure DOM API?

Example #2: Javascript with E4X extension has more XML capabilites than the
original javascript.
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-357.pdf
Here is an example of E4X syntax: "order.item.*[1]". Is that supported?

Chris Keller wrote:
      Hi Alex,

      <to variable=”x” part=”y”>
         <query create=”yes” queryLanguage=”jscript”>
            getElement(“a”).getElement(“b”,10)
         </query>
      </to>

      A context for this script execution would know create was turned on
      and then it would create the 10th element called “b” under “a” if it
      did not exist and return the new “b” element.  If create was not
      turned on it could throw a fault.

      Thereby the “create” could be applied to a non-xpath language if the
      binding makes it so.

      - Chris