Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 88 - Proposal to vote

The proposal is not to support transitive imports. WSDL 2.0 imports are not
transitive either (unless it has recently changed). XML Schema uses the
empty import to indicate that there are unqualified references to
components with no targetnamespace - it is sort of a warning flag.

As for the namespace <-> targetnamespace matching, the text includes a note
recognizing that some dialects may use different mechanism for identifying
their definitions. The only assumptions are:

i: the imported set of components/definitions may have an identifier URI
(ala tns),
ii: the identifier URI would then be used in the import element
iii: if a location URL for the document is provided, that document has to
contain the definitions corresponding to the identifier that was specified.

I don't think it can get any more general than this.

As for conflicts, a conflict is a conflict regardless of where the
components come from - as long as they can be considered effectively
imported.

Paco

                      "Yaron Y. Goland"
                      <ygoland@bea.com>        To:       Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
                      07/19/2005 01:47         Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue 88 - Proposal to vote
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ygoland

Please see below

Francisco Curbera wrote:
> Updated for closing issue 88.  To my original proposal of 4/1 I added
> points 1b and 6, an I reformulated point 3 to reflect the discussion we
had
> over email.
>

> 1. All WSDL and XSD definitions MUST be explicitly imported.

Does this mean that items imported by the imported WSDL or XSD are not
visible to BPEL?

> 1b. Import elements are conceptually unordered. It is considered an error
> if the imported documents contain conflicting definitions of a component
> that used by the importing process (as could be caused when the XSD
> redefinition mechanism is used).
>
> 2. The only mandatory attribute on the <bpel:import> element is
> "importType" of type xs:anyURI, for which the BPEL spec defines two
values,
> indicating the import of WSDL and XSD documents.

What semantics are associated with this? "Something, I won't tell you
what, is being imported?" That doesn't seem terribly useful.

> 3. The URI identifying the imported documents (the value of the
> "targetnamespace" attribute in the cases of WSDL and XSD documents, but
> maybe a different URI associated to the document in other languages) MUST
> match the namespace attribute in the <import> element, or none if no
> identification URI (targetnamespace for WSDL and XSD) was specified in
the
> import.

This can only apply to WSDL and XSD since other constructs being
imported may have different ideas about namespace management.

> 4. "location" and "namespace" are optional. An import w/o namespace
> indicates that external WSDL or XSD definitions are in use that are not
> namespace qualified. An import w/o location indicates that external
> definitions in a certain namespace (or lacking one) are used in the
process
> definition, making no statement about where those definitions may be
found.

> 5. Namespace and importType URIs are always absolute. Location URIs may
be
> relative, following the usual rules for resolution of the URI base (XML
> Base, RFC 2396).
>
> 6. Schema definitions defined in the types section of a WSDL document
which
> is imported by a BPEL process definition are considered to be effectively
> imported themselves and are available to the process for the purpose of
> defining XSD variables.

Does this also apply to conflict detection? E.g. if an inline schema
conflicts with an imported schema then the whole BPEL process MUST be
rejected?

OASIS