Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 157 Proposal - August 17 Revision

Hi Yuzo,

On 1) I believe a TII in the to-SPEC won't be empty since the attempt to
select the node itself would have caused a selectionFailure (e.g. a query
like /a/b/text() returning an empty nodelist).

On 2) I agree my preference also is the mismatchedAssignmentFailure for the
same reason you mentioned.

- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Yuzo Fujishima [mailto:fujishima@bc.jp.nec.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:53 AM
To: Alex Yiu
Cc: chris.keller@active-endpoints.com; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org;
'Charlton Barreto'; 'Danny van der Rijn'; 'Yaron Y. Goland'; 'Diane Jordan'

Alex, Chris,

I have two comments/questions.

1. Will the fault result even if the to-spec TII is also empty?
   In this case, deletion of an infoset will not happen; the infoset
   doesn't exist from the beginning.

2. I prefer mismatchedAssignmentFailure.
   If a user is presented with a selectionFailure, s/he will
   probably check the from/to-spec XPaths only to find each is
   valid per se and get confused.

Yuzo Fujishima
NEC Corporation

Alex Yiu wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I understand your points ...  I don't have a strong opinion on which
> fault should be thrown for this particular case as of this moment. [
> But, I still have a not-so-strong preference ... :-) ]
>
>  >From some viewpoints, it can be grouped to selectionFailure, because
> it is related to non-existence nature of data returned from the
> from-spec (i.e. empty string) and the after effect of <copy> operation.
> (i.e. text node becomes non-existent).
>
>  >From some viewpoints, it can be grouped to
> mismatchedAssignmentFailure, because it is related to certain
> undesirable combination between RValue item and LValue item.
>
> On the other hand, I would to add: mismatchedAssignmentFailure so far is
> reserved for type mismatch , not data value mismatch (which is our case;
> data type can be both string type). Quoted from spec:  "Thrown when
> incompatible types are encountered in an assign activity".
>
> Also, selectionFailure has been generalized to report the cases of
> Document-II or Comment-II selection.
>
> I guess it is a question which fault to be generalized.
>
> Given we may touch the definition of "mismatchedAssignFailure" during
> Issue 51, how about taking "selectionFailure" for now? And, open a new
> bug issue to track whether "selectionFailure" should be replaced by
> "mismatchedAssignFailure" in this particular case. Let's tackle this
> which fault to throw issue after Issue 51 is resolved?
>
> Would that work for you?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Regards,
> Alex Yiu
>

> Chris Keller wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>

>> I think selectionFailure may be the wrong fault to throw.  A
>> mismatchedAssignmentFailure may be the more appropriate fault.
>>

>> From the spec:
>>

>> selectionFailure:  Thrown when a selection operation performed either
>> in a function such as bpws:getVariableData, or in an assignment,
>> encounters an error.
>>

>> mismatchedAssignmentFailure:  Thrown when incompatible types are
>> encountered in an assign activity.
>>

>> - Chris

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/download.php/14094/WS-BP
EL_Issue_157_Proposal_Aug17.pdf