Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 11 - Proposal (after off-line discussions)

Chris,

Okay, so we nail down the style sheet name, by requiring a literal value. That can be done without a great loss of functionality (it seems to me that dynamically creating the style sheet name would be exceedingly uncommon).

What do we have then? We have exactly the same situation we have with other "inclusion" mechanisms already used by WS-BPEL, WSDL, and XML Schema. A URI (relative or absolute) is used to indicate an "included" resource. What if a WSDL document changes a message type, or a message property?

WS-BPEL never addresses the issue of what happens if a resource indicated by aURI changes. Why should this particular piece of WS-BPEL (assuming it is adopted) be any different? Put another way, how is any different than WSDL?

-Ron

Chris Keller wrote:

Hi Ron,

The problem with the statement: “Note that analysis of dependencies is trivially accomplished at run-time, even if style sheet names are dynamically determined.” Is that it may be too late to apply the information correctly.  The problem cases are isolated scopes in that they must lock variables so they won’t be changed by other logic executing in parallel.  In order to do that you have to proactively prevent other activities from executing which may change the accessed variables once you enter the scope.  And I believe a reactive runtime based analysis wont work.  Given that someone can change a stylesheet outside of the BPEL engine, even a constant for the URI may not be sufficient.  So that leads us to option 1 if we want to handle isolated scopes correctly.

- Chris

From: Ron Ten-Hove [mailto:Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 10:12 AM
To: Alexandre Alves
Cc: wsbpeltc

Based on this, and some off-line conversations, we seem to have two paths shaping up for conveying BPEL variable values to the XSLT processor (via global parameters) for read-only access:

Add BPEL-based Declaration of  BPEL Variables

This might look like the following (based on the second example in the proposal, with a message variable part thrown in for fun):

bpws:doXslTransform('urn:stylesheets:AddToPO.xsl', $PO, $OutVar, $MsgVar.PartName)

Only the named variables (in parameters 3 and up) can be mapped to like-named XSLT global parameters (e.g., "OutVar" or "MsgVar.PartName").

Advantages:

  • Explicit control of variables made available to the XSLT engine.
  • Improved readability; the reader need not consult the style sheet to discover which variables will be read by the XSLT engine
  • Static analysis of the process can facilitate optimized implementations of both atomic assignment and serialized scopes (as applicable)

Disadvantages:

  • More verbose.
  • Violates the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle. Adding or removing a BPEL variable from the XSL style sheet requires two co-ordinated changes (style sheet global parameters and BPEL process).

Leave Proposed XSLT-based Declaration of BPEL Variables

This is what was proposed last week. This depends on name matching between the style sheet's global parameters and in-scope BPEL variables.

Advantages:

  • Less verbose
  • Conforms to DRY principle. Adding or removing a BPEL variable from the XSL style sheet requires a single change to the style sheet only..

Disadvantages:

  • Static analysis of variable dependencies depends on the assumption that style sheets are named using literals, and the named style sheet doesn't vary (i.e, the URI used to name the style sheet indicates an non-varying resource).
  • Decreased readability

Note that analysis of dependencies is trivially accomplished at run-time, even if style sheet names are dynamically determined. If style sheet names are not dynamic (that is, they are literals) then this analysis can be done earlier.

Worrying about dynamic changes (during run-time) to resources indicated by URIs is a problem that applies to WSDL, XML Schema, and BPEL already; our specification is deliberately silent about how such issues are handled (leaving it to implementations to address this as they wish).

-Ron
Alexandre Alves wrote:

Hi Ron,

I think that not only it affects the ‘atomic assign’ requirement, but it also can potentially prevent implementations from optimizing for isolated scopes. If I am not mistaken, one of the benefits of issue 103 was to facilitate static analyses of variable usage (i.e. by removing the getVariableData() function, etc).

In light of that, I am in favor of some explicit option. If we were to go with option (2), I would suggest also allowing the user to specify a message part (OutVar.partA), as we’ve defined them to be (conceptually) separate documents.

Best regards,