Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 82.1 - proposal to vote (directional vote)

+1 to Charlton (having separate NSs)

Hi Danny,

It seems to me that in all likelihood if code is needed to perform custom validation instead of using some (third-party) Schema-aware tool, then it should not be challenging to change the ‘custom code’ to handle multiple namespaces.

Actually, I think this is more of an argument towards having separate NSs. If we keep them in the same NS, people will have to write more custom validation code instead of being able to leverage Schema-aware tools, as we will be incurring more Schema inexpressible rules.

Rgds,

From: Danny van der Rijn [mailto:dannyv@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:47 PM
To: wsbpel tc

Although I was originally for the separation (After all I was the one who proposed issue 24), I have mixed feelings now.  (It's been more than 2 years....)

One argument for keeping them in the same namespace is that there are many many static analyses which are completely syntactic, yet unexpressible in schema.  Any code that is written to perform such validation, if it is namespace aware, will have to either be copied, or engineered in such a way that it can deal with the multiple namespaces.

Alex Yiu wrote:

+1 to Charlton.

Charlton Barreto wrote:

Abstract and Executable BPEL have distinct and different syntaxes. While
there are similarities between the two, they are not the same.

I agree that the important issues are usability and schema design and
maintenance. For these reasons, we should not force Abstract and Executable
BPEL into a single namespace. Doing so would only complicate and confuse
usage, while making the schema design and maintenance problematic.

On the other hand, assigning each its own namespace will only serve to
maintain clarity in use and description, and make it easier to keep them
distinct from one another, simplifying schema design and maintenance.

-Charlton.