Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 229 - Proposal for vote

I remain warm (to the idea I mean).

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Yiu [mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:00 PM
To: Danny van der Rijn
Cc: chris.keller@active-endpoints.com; 'Dieter Koenig1'; 'ws bpel tc';
Alex Yiu; Satish Thatte

Hi Danny and others,

I have been thinking of renaming "<compensate />" activity to something
like "<compensateChildScopes/>" to signal the difference two forms of
compensation and avoid confusion, instead of saying a verbal description

like "a compensate activity with no scope attribute"

What do you guys think?
Based on some past email exchange, Satish is warm to that idea.

If you guys are warm to idea, we could incorporate that into one of
compensation related proposal. That is, to instruct editors to do a
global scan on the term "compensate" in the spec to apply changes
appropriate. [Poor editors ... :-( ... including myself ...]

Danny van der Rijn wrote:

> While we're wordsmithing, "<compensate/> activity" isn't different
> from <compensate scope="Sx"/> -- they're the same activity.  Can we
> replace it with "a compensate activity with no scope attribute"?
>
> Danny
>
> Chris Keller wrote:
>
>> Hi Dieter,
>>
>> Ok, here are the two sets of text.  If we adopt your text it didn't
>> seem to
>> flow right unless it replaces the entire part after the ellipsis,
>> what do
>> you think.  Is it explicit enough?
>>
>> - Chris
>>
>> End of section 13.3.3
>>
>> Dieter's suggestion:
>>
>> "...User defined fault, compensation, or termination handlers may use
>> <compensate scope="..."> to compensate a specific child scope and/or
>> <compensate/> to compensate all child scopes in default order. Any
>> repeated
>> attempt to compensate an individual child scope is treated as a
no-op.

>> The compensate activity should be used by user defined fault,
>> compensation
>> and termination handlers to invoke child scope compensation.  If a
user
>> defined fault, compensation or termination handler does not use the
>> compensate activity then child scopes will not be compensated."
>>
>> Alex's suggestion:
>>
>> "...Note that the <compensate/> activity in a fault, compensation or
>> termination handler attached to scope S causes the default-order
>> invocation
>> of compensation handlers for completed scopes directly nested within
>> S. The
>> use of this activity can be mixed with any other user-specified
behavior
>> including the explicit invocation of <compensate scope="Sx"/> for
>> scope Sx
>> nested directly within S. After an explicit invocation of
>> compensation for
>> such a scope nested within S, the default-order compensation is still
>> available via the <compensate/> activity. During the default-order
>> compensation, any attempt to compensate a scope which has already
been
>> explicity compensated is a no-op. On the other hand, if a
>> <compensate/> is
>> used prior to a <compensate scope="Sx"/> the latter is treated as a
>> no-op.
>>
>> The compensate activity should be used by user defined fault,
>> compensation
>> and termination handlers to invoke child scope compensation.  If a
user
>> defined fault, compensation or termination handler does not use the
>> compensate activity then child scopes will not be compensated."

with
>> this
>> text. Is it the same text as Alex is suggesting to change?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Proposal