Subject: Variable Initialization and Variable Hiding

Hi,

I have a few questions about variable initialization and
variable name hiding. Although I have my answers to them,
I would like to know what you think because they are somewhat
counter-intuitive in my opinion.

Case 1:

    scope S1
      variable v1=101
      scope S2
        variable v2=v1
        variable v1=201

    Is this legal?
    If legal, will v2 be 101 or 201?

  My answer:

    As per 9.1 Variables,

        variable v2=v1
        variable v1=201

    should be conceptually equivalent to

        variable v2
        variable v1
        sequence
          assign v1 -> v2
          assign 201 -> v1

    Therefore, an uninitializedVariable (v1) fault
    should be raised.

Case 2:

    scope S1
      variable v1=101
      scope S2
        variable v1=v1

    Is this legal?
    Will an uninitializedFault be raised?

  My answer:

    As per 9.1 Variables,

        variable v1=v1

    should be conceptually equivalent to

        variable v1
        sequence
          assign v1 -> v1

    Therefore, an uninitializedVariable (v1) fault
    should be raised.

Yuzo Fujishima
NEC Corporation