Subject: Re: [wsbpel] initializePartnerRole attribute default

Hi Chris,

I have just refreshed my own memory on this topic. (related to Issue 139 and 139.1)

If my memory and understanding is right, these two issues are related to whether a BPEL engine can initialize a partnerRole EPR based on a message received via myRole EPR. (e.g. its WS-Addressing header) when the partnerRole is not initialized by its deployment descriptor.

In the spec text / proposal text, there are important "before" clauses attached to it:
If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "yes" then the BPEL processor MUST initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "no" then the BPEL processor MUST NOT initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process.

To my eyes, it is about controlling the timeline of partnerRole initialization.

Yes, on retrospection, the proposal / spec text may not be clear enough and its purpose may be too subtly described. Particularly the "MUST" wording in the "yes" case is not used correctly.

If we want to clarify the text, I would suggest changes of the following:

FROM:

The initializePartnerRole attribute specifies if the BPEL processor is required to initialize a partnerLink's partnerRole value. The attribute has no affect on the partnerRole's value after its initialization. The initializePartnerRole attribute MUST NOT be used on a partnerLink that does not have a partner role; this restriction MUST be statically enforced. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "yes" then the BPEL processor MUST initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "no" then the BPEL processor MUST NOT initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is omitted then its value MUST be treated as "no".

TO:

The initializePartnerRole attribute specifies when the BPEL processor is allowed to initialize a partnerLink's partnerRole value. The attribute has no affect on the partnerRole's value after its initialization. The initializePartnerRole attribute MUST NOT be used on a partnerLink that does not have a partner role; this restriction MUST be statically enforced. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "yes" then the BPEL processor MAY initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is set to "no" then the BPEL processor MUST NOT initialize the EPR for the specified partnerLink/partnerRole combination before that partnerRole is first referenced by the BPEL process but the BPEL processor MAY still initialize the EPR at the point when the partnerRole is first referenced. An example of referencing a parternerRole is: using the partnerLink in an <invoke> activity. If the initializePartnerRole attribute is omitted then its value MUST be treated as "no".

If we want to go to one step first further, I would suggest to changes its value from its boolean to the following:

"yes" => "before-first-reference"
"no" => "at-first-reference" (this is the default one).

(If people can stand this long attribute value description)

Chris and others, please let know whether my interpretation of this past resolution make senses and whether you guys want to change the spec text for clarification as suggested above.

Chris and everyone on TC, Happy Holidays!!!

Chris Keller wrote:

I was reviewing the current draft and the initializePartnerRole attribute for a partnerLink has a default value of “no”.  Currently “no” means that an implementation MUST NOT initialize the EPR for the partnerRole. This seems wrong to me. In my experience most partnerRole EPRs are initialized by the implementation. My feeling is that if possible the defaults should reflect the most common usage so the default should be “yes”.  Although I believe everywhere else in the specification the defaults are “no”, maybe we should change the sense of the attribute name.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Chris Keller