Subject: Groups - New Action Item #0009 Editing team - Updating specific...

OASIS Web Services Business Process Execution Language (WSBPEL) TC member,

Ms Monica Martin has created a new action item.

Number: #0009
Owner: Mr Alexandre Alves

Comments:
Ms Monica Martin  2006-02-08 16:36 GMT
email 2/8/2006
[start]
In the v2.0 Committee Draft, we speak in many places about 'compliant implementation', 'BPEL-compliant infrastructure', 'compliant BPEL processor', or generically.  On most references, this terminology is used with RFC 2119 'MUST.' Suggest the TC consider the implications of dictating 'compliance' without:

1. A defined scope
2. The implications to software implementations
3. Other specifics as required (such as levels of adherence)

If we choose to use similar verbiage, I would recommend we use 'conformance.' ISO has clearly defined conformance and compliance with the former being voluntary and the latter typically associated with regulatory or mandatory requirements, which may infer other legal implications on software implementations. I am uncertain the latter is our intent. There are also implications from a test perspective.

Suggest at a minimum we consider using 'conforming xxxx.' The TC may also choose to discuss if a generic statement is desired to bound 'a conforming xxxx.'

The language cited occurs in:

   * Section 3: regarding WS-I BP v1.1
   * Section 4: For rejecting process definitions by static analysis
   * Section 8.3: Expressions for use of XPath
   * Section 8.4.1: Copy operation
   * Section 9: Correlation
   * Section 9.2: Correlation sets
   * Section 10.4: Inbound messages and message exchange
   * Section 15: General statement associated with Security Considerations

Thanks.
[end]

Note: This editorial change for compliance, compliant, complying to conformance, conformant and conforming was approved in TC teleconference 8 February 2006.

Reference: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/email/archives/200602/msg00015.html

View Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=1217

- OASIS Open Administration