Subject: Syntax analysis document

Title: Syntax analysis document

During the last conference call we discussed the task of identifying syntax checks that should occur as part of static analysis. These checks include basic syntax checks which are not possible to accomplish using schema validation. I tried the idea of going through the specification and using a custom style to identify syntax checks but found that it was easier to produce a separate document and reference the section that contained the check.

I have attached a document which is the result of reviewing the first 8 chapters of the specification. These syntax checks were created by reading through the specification text and sample xml snippets in the document. In some cases there were explicit statements identifying the check required and in others it was inferred from the sample xml. Where possible, I include a reference to the section number. In some cases I found the specific statement for the check in chapters 9-12 but came across the sample xml in earlier chapters. In these cases I reference the later chapters.

I also reviewed the previously compiled static analysis document for Issue 84. In a few cases there is some duplication between the two lists and in these cases I reference the Static Analysis rule number in a separate column.

I think it would be best to have a single document which described all of the validation for a process. Perhaps merging this document into the proposed static analysis appendix?

<<...>>

Syntax Analysis.doc