Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 255 - Proposal for vote

+1

I am not in favor of even mentioning dynamic changes in this spec.

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             Danny van der
             Rijn
             <dannyv@tibco.com                                          To
             >                         Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                        cc
             06.04.2006 18:59          ws bpel tc
                                       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue 255 - Proposal
                                       for vote

I understand your point, but part of what I was trying to do was not to
ever mention any of these artifacts changing.  It's always possible to
change WSDLs (add portTypes, operations, add a fault to an existing
operation, add an import, modify ANYTHING concrete, ...) and Schemas (add
declarations, remove declarations that aren't used by the process, change
type derivation to less-restrictive types, ... ) in ways that don't harm a
running process, just like it's possible to do so for XSLT.  And similarly,
changes can do great harm.  We also make no restrictions or mention of
changes to things that are imported or included by the WSDLs, Schemas, or
style sheets.

We don't want to explicitly disallow change.  But to explicitly allow it is
to open Pandora's box, IMO.  Making no mention of it leaves the field wide
open for implementations, without muddying the spec in the implications of
such change.

Danny

Alex Yiu wrote:

      Hi Danny and others,

      After more thinking, the nature of XSLT artifact is not exactly like
      WSDL artifact. BPEL makes uses of WSDL only as an interface
      definition language (i.e. the abstract part of WSDL). On the other
      hand, BPEL makes uses of XSLT more than an interface. It make uses of
      its execution logic as well. The interface parts of XSLT are its
      global parameters and input documents. The execution logic is XSLT's
      transformation logic.

      I guess the intention of wording is to highlight the XSLT artifact
      can be updated during runtime, its transformation logic can be
      changed as long as its interface with BPEL remains intact / defined
      after the change.

      That's why I changed from my "on-the-fence" position to "no"
      regarding removal of those wordings.

      I don't think a complete removal of such wordings is a good choice.

      How about the following: (based on Danny's suggested wording)

      The first XPath function parameter, which locates the style sheet, is
      intended to have the similar semantics as the location attribute of
      an <import> element. The differences are only in syntax. Style sheets
      associated with a process (through its doXslTransform invocations)
      SHOULD be considered part of the process definition, and in
      most situations would not change at run-time in a similar manner to
      WSDL definitions and XML Schemas referenced by an <import> element.
      However, WS-BPEL processors MAY dynamically update associated style
      sheets at run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification
      are still met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment
      and
      serialized scopes). Transformation logic inside style sheets MAY be
      updated dynamically during process run-time, as long as its interface
      (e.g. its parameters) with the process definition remains intact.

      I guess people may still need to think more about the last sentence
      ("Transformation ...") added there.  I tend to think it better
      captures the difference between a WSDL and an XSLT.  It may answer
      people's question on why this statement needs to be here but not for
      WSDL. Actually, this difference applies not just to XSLT, but to any
      future artifact that combines "interface"+"execution-logic".

      I am open to more rewording of the last sentence.

      Danny van der Rijn wrote:
            I propose the following choice of alternatives:

            Alternative A:
            In Section 8.4

            Change:
                  Style sheets associated with a process (through its
            doXslTransform
                  invocations) are considered part of the process
            definition, and in
                  most situations would not change at run-time. However,
            WS-BPEL
                  processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets
            at
                  run-time, as long as all requirements of this
            specification are still
                  met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment
            and
                  serialized scopes).

                  The first XPath function parameter, which names the style
            sheet, is intended
                  to have the same semantics as the location attribute of
            an <import> element.
                  The differences are only in syntax.
                  Style sheets associated with a process (through its
            doXslTransform
                  invocations) SHOULD be considered part of the process
            definition, and in
                  most situations would not change at run-time
                  in a similar manner to WSDL definitions and XML Schemas
            referenced by an <import> element.
                  However, WS-BPEL
                  processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets
            at
                  run-time, as long as all requirements of this
            specification are still
                  met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment
            and
                  serialized scopes).

            Alternative B (comes without spec wording at the moment):

            - Add another importType, http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform.
            - Require the first parameter of doXslTransform to be a string
            literal that matches an <import>ed "location" of the XSLT
            importType stated above.

            Danny

            Simon D Moser wrote:
                  Hi all,

                  as discussed in the Call today, I move to vote on my
                  submitters proposal to
                  remove the text mentioned below from section 8.4

                  In Section 8.4, there is some text (which used to be a
                  footnote):

                        Style sheets associated with a process (through its
                  doXslTransform
                        invocations) are considered part of the process
                  definition, and in
                        most situations would not change at run-time.
                  However, WS-BPEL
                        processors MAY dynamically update associated style
                  sheets at
                        run-time, as long as all requirements of this
                  specification are still
                        met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic"
                  assignment and
                        serialized scopes).
                  We (TC at f-t-f, Stuttgart) think that talking about
                  dynamically changing
                  of XSLT artifacts is out of scope for the specification,
                  since we do not
                  talk about dynamically changing WSDL or XSD files that
                  are referenced from
                  the process, too.

                  Cheers
                  /Simon
                  Simon Daniel Moser, M.Eng.
                  Business Process Solutions Development 1
                  IBM Boeblingen Laboratory
                  Schoenaicherstr. 220, 01/086
                  D - 71032 Boeblingen
                  Tel.: +49 - 7031 - 164304
                  IP Telephone Number (ITN): 39204304
                  email: smoser@de.ibm.com

                  Rule of thumb #3459835478: when you find yourself
                  typing/copying the same
                  thing more than twice in a row, redesign or re-implement.
                  No excuse
                  possible.

                  OASIS TC that
                  generates this mail.  You may a link to this group and
                  all your TCs in OASIS
                  at: