Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 255 - Proposal for vote

Hi Danny and Dieter,

I understand  your point of worrying about openning a Pandora's box and the desire to make WSDL and XSLT more symmetrical. I am with you guys on that one.

In the main part of Issue 11 proposal, it mentions the consistency between XSLT and WS-BPEL and that needs to be enforced by static analysis. It does not mention much about similar after static analysis.

Also, the dependency from the process definition to the XSLT is relatively different from WSDL. The former uses parameters in an xpath function. The later uses QName of a portType or messageType and etc in a BPEL construct. The former dependency may be a bit subtle for people to notice.

Hence, here is one more attempt to express a similar message without mentioning the Pandora's box (i.e. dynamic update) at all. It says the interface consistency needs to be observed all the time. Whether a dynamic update may or may not happen is outside of this sentence.

-------------------------------
The first XPath function parameter, which locates the style sheet, is intended to have the similar semantics as the location attribute of an <import> element. The differences are only in syntax. Style sheets associated with a process (through its doXslTransform invocations) SHOULD be considered part of the process definition, and in
most situations would not change at run-time in a similar manner to WSDL definitions and XML Schemas referenced by an <import> element.
However, WS-BPEL processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets at run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification are still met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment and
serialized scopes). During process run-time, the interface of stylesheet (e.g. its parameters declared) SHOULD be always consistent with the counter part of the WS-BPEL process definition (e.g. parameters passing in).
-------------------------------

Does that sound better to you guys?

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
I understand your point, but part of what I was trying to do was not to ever mention any of these artifacts changing.  It's always possible to change WSDLs (add portTypes, operations, add a fault to an existing operation, add an import, modify ANYTHING concrete, ...) and Schemas (add declarations, remove declarations that aren't used by the process, change type derivation to less-restrictive types, ... ) in ways that don't harm a running process, just like it's possible to do so for XSLT.  And similarly, changes can do great harm.  We also make no restrictions or mention of changes to things that are imported or included by the WSDLs, Schemas, or style sheets.

We don't want to explicitly disallow change.  But to explicitly allow it is to open Pandora's box, IMO.  Making no mention of it leaves the field wide open for implementations, without muddying the spec in the implications of such change.

Danny

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi Danny and others,

After more thinking, the nature of XSLT artifact is not exactly like WSDL artifact. BPEL makes uses of WSDL only as an interface definition language (i.e. the abstract part of WSDL). On the other hand, BPEL makes uses of XSLT more than an interface. It make uses of its execution logic as well. The interface parts of XSLT are its global parameters and input documents. The execution logic is XSLT's transformation logic.

I guess the intention of wording is to highlight the XSLT artifact can be updated during runtime, its transformation logic can be changed as long as its interface with BPEL remains intact / defined after the change.

That's why I changed from my "on-the-fence" position to "no" regarding removal of those wordings.

I don't think a complete removal of such wordings is a good choice.

How about the following: (based on Danny's suggested wording)

The first XPath function parameter, which locates the style sheet, is intended to have the similar semantics as the location attribute of an <import> element. The differences are only in syntax. Style sheets associated with a process (through its doXslTransform invocations) SHOULD be considered part of the process definition, and in
most situations would not change at run-time in a similar manner to WSDL definitions and XML Schemas referenced by an <import> element.
However, WS-BPEL processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets at run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification are still met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment and
serialized scopes). Transformation logic inside style sheets MAY be updated dynamically during process run-time, as long as its interface (e.g. its parameters) with the process definition remains intact.

I guess people may still need to think more about the last sentence ("Transformation ...") added there.  I tend to think it better captures the difference between a WSDL and an XSLT.  It may answer people's question on why this statement needs to be here but not for WSDL. Actually, this difference applies not just to XSLT, but to any future artifact that combines "interface"+"execution-logic".

I am open to more rewording of the last sentence.

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
I propose the following choice of alternatives:

Alternative A:
In Section 8.4

Change:
      Style sheets associated with a process (through its doXslTransform
      invocations) are considered part of the process definition, and in
      most situations would not change at run-time. However, WS-BPEL
      processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets at
      run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification are still
      met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment and
      serialized scopes).

      The first XPath function parameter, which names the style sheet, is intended
      to have the same semantics as the location attribute of an <import> element.
      The differences are only in syntax.
      Style sheets associated with a process (through its doXslTransform
      invocations) SHOULD be considered part of the process definition, and in
      most situations would not change at run-time
      in a similar manner to WSDL definitions and XML Schemas referenced by an <import> element.
      However, WS-BPEL
      processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets at
      run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification are still
      met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment and
      serialized scopes).

Alternative B (comes without spec wording at the moment):

- Add another importType, http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform.
- Require the first parameter of doXslTransform to be a string literal that matches an <import>ed "location" of the XSLT importType stated above.

Danny

Simon D Moser wrote:
Hi all,

as discussed in the Call today, I move to vote on my submitters proposal to
remove the text mentioned below from section 8.4

In Section 8.4, there is some text (which used to be a footnote):

      Style sheets associated with a process (through its doXslTransform
      invocations) are considered part of the process definition, and in
      most situations would not change at run-time. However, WS-BPEL
      processors MAY dynamically update associated style sheets at
      run-time, as long as all requirements of this specification are still
      met (in particular, the semantics of "atomic" assignment and
      serialized scopes).
We (TC at f-t-f, Stuttgart) think that talking about dynamically changing
of XSLT artifacts is out of scope for the specification, since we do not
talk about dynamically changing WSDL or XSD files that are referenced from
the process, too.

Cheers
/Simon
Simon Daniel Moser, M.Eng.
Business Process Solutions Development 1
IBM Boeblingen Laboratory
Schoenaicherstr. 220, 01/086
D - 71032 Boeblingen
Tel.: +49 - 7031 - 164304
IP Telephone Number (ITN): 39204304
email: smoser@de.ibm.com

Rule of thumb #3459835478: when you find yourself typing/copying the same
thing more than twice in a row, redesign or re-implement. No excuse
possible.

at: