Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 280 - discussion

Hi Alex and Mark, rules 1 and 4 should take care of both element and type
by means of strict QName matching.

In other words,
 - when a variable is defined with a type ns:t then it can be caught using
a faultType that specifies the same QName ns:t
 - when a variable is defined with an element ns:e then it can be caught
using a faultElement that specifies the same QName ns:e

This clarification would need to be added to the two rules, and the
faultType attribute be added to catch.

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Mark Ford
             24.05.2006 19:47          <mark.ford@active-endpoints.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       Thomas Schulze/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                                       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Alex
                                       Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 280 -
                                       discussion

Hi,
[ Changing the subject line ... such the issue list can "correlate" this
email thread ;-) ]

Currently, there is a set of rules stated in section "12.5 Fault
Handlers" to determine which <catch> will be used during fault handling.
(under "in the case of faults thrown with associated date ...")

As Mark stated, if we want to support XSD-type (both simple and complex
type) in the <catch> clause, we need to modify that set of rules
significantly. There are 6 rules involved in that set. They are just
using element's QName matching and message type's QName matching there.
The passed resolution intentionally avoid any type inheritance-based
checking there.

If we allow simple-type or complex-type based <catch> clause, it would
be odd to some users, if we don't do any type inheritance-based checking
(similar to Java catch). If we do inheritance-based checking (e.g. a
"foo:AddressType" based <catch> can handle a "foo:USAddressType" fault),
we would wander in the territory of "best-match" schema type semantics,
which I am not sure any other spec has done that before.

If we don't do inheritance-based checking, it may not be that simple
either to resolve all the most appropriate <catch> either. e.g. which
one will be matched?
<catch faultType="foo:AddressType">
vs <catch faultElement="foo:AddressElem">
(where "foo:AddressElem" is based on "foo:AddressType")
vs <catch faultMessageType="foo:AddressMsgType">
(where "foo:AddressMsgType" has a single part based on "foo:AddressType")

I am quite sure if we spend enough time, there will be a matching
algorithm developed. But, at the same time, the 80-20 rules applies
here. That is, we may need to double the size of rules (from 6 to 12)
for a 20% usecase?  Complexity kills usability.

Last, it may be too late for this cycle of spec to add such a new
feature to <catch>.

I hope my train of thoughts sound reasonable to you guys.

Mark Ford wrote:

>I think this issue boils down to how we determine the type of the fault
>data. The current matching rules match element data by their QNames. There
>is a subtle difference with WSDL Message fault data that define a single
>part of type element. In this case, the QName for the fault data comes
from
>the part's element type declaration as opposed to the actual data for that
>part.
>
>If we add support for type-typed variables, then we need to change how the
>type of the fault data is determined. The existing rules for determining
the
>type of the fault data are insufficient in this regard because they look
>only at the element data itself which could be ambiguous with complex
types
>and elements.
>
>How do you propose to determine the type of the fault data?

OASIS