Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.2 - proposal for vote

Extension declarations refer to the language extension itself ( for example
Java ;-)) , whereas imports refer to instances of definitions (for example
purchaseOrder.wsdl). Therefore, IMO the extension and the import discussion
are two different things.

Because of the fact that Chapter 14 states

 <<In order to apply extension semantics to a WS-BPEL process, an extension
 syntax token, in the form of an element or attribute qualified by the URI
 value of a namespace attribute in an <extension> element that is used
 outside of an <extension> element, MUST appear in the WS-BPEL process
 definition or its directly referenced WSDL <portType> definitions,
 <propertyAlias> definitions or <property> definitions.>>

the following situation arises: I have a XPath function with a given NS,
but this NS does not occur as XML element or attribute in the BPEL itself.
Because of this situation we agree that we cannot have an extension
declaration in the sense of chapter 14. Maybe we can consider to draw an
analogy that XPath extension functions of other namespaces are treated like
BPEL extensions declared with mustUnderstand = yes. We might just add a
clarifying sentence to Danny's proposal:

[From]

      A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of other
      namespaces available. If a process definition contains XPath
      functions of other namespaces, a WS-BPEL Processor that does not
      support one or more of these XPath extension functions MUST reject
      the process. This requirement MUST be statically enforced.

[To]

      A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of other
      namespaces available. If a process definition contains XPath
      functions of other namespaces, they are treated like WS-BPEL
      extensions declared with mustUnderstand="yes" (see Section 14.
      Extension Declarations). Therefore, a WS-BPEL Processor that does not
      support one or more of these XPath extension functions MUST reject
      the process. This requirement MUST be statically enforced.

Cheers
/Simon
Simon Daniel Moser, M.Eng.
Business Process Solutions Development 1
IBM Boeblingen Laboratory
Schoenaicherstr. 220, 01/086
D - 71032 Boeblingen
Tel.: +49 - 7031 - 164304
IP Telephone Number (ITN): 39204304
email: smoser@de.ibm.com

Rule of thumb #3459835478: when you find yourself typing/copying the same
thing more than twice in a row, redesign or re-implement. No excuse
possible.

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Danny van der Rijn
             06/22/2006 10:46          <dannyv@tibco.com>
                                       Simon D Moser/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                                       Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                                       Diane Jordan <drj@us.ibm.com>,
                                       Peter Furniss
                                       <peter.furniss@erebor.co.uk>,
                                       Thomas Schulze/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                                       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Alex
                                       Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.2 -
                                       proposal for vote

Makes sense to me. Simpler and better.
Thanks.

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
      You've now got a sentence in there that I think adds nothing, and is
      confusing.  I would remove the sentence in brackets, and reword the
      2nd to last sentence.

      From
      --------------------------------
      A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of other
      namespaces
      available. [They must be understood by a WS-BPEL processor.] If the
      WS-BPEL Processor does not support one or more of these XPath
      extension namespaces then the process definition MUST be rejected.
      This requirement MUST be statically enforced.
      --------------------------------

      --------------------------------
      A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of other
      namespaces
      available. If a process definition contains XPath functions of other
      namespaces, a WS-BPEL Processor that does not support one or more of
      these XPath extension functions MUST reject the process. This
      requirement MUST be statically enforced.
      --------------------------------

      Alex Yiu wrote:

            Hi Simon,

            I understand your intent.

            However, the <import> mechanism in the spec has only covered
            importing WSDL and XSD. Of course, it may be extended to
            importing XPath functions.

            But, I would hesitate to do so. Because:
                  What exactly does the location of XPath function
                  definition mean in <import>? [I have a feeling that we
                  are dancing around the elephant again.]
                  And, for XPath function there should be no option for
                  mustUnderstand (which needs to be always true).

            While I feel comfortable with the second part of your word
            smithing: "If a WS-BPEL
            Processor does not support one or more of these XPath extension
            namespaces then the process definition MUST be rejected. This
            requirement MUST be statically enforced."

            So, I may I would take your second half of you suggestion for
            part (b).

            --------------------------------
            A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of other
            namespaces
            available. They must be understood by a WS-BPEL processor. If
            the WS-BPEL Processor does not support one or more of these
            XPath extension namespaces then the process definition MUST be
            rejected. This requirement MUST be statically enforced.
            --------------------------------

            I guess the new text is simplier and preceise enough?

            Simon D Moser wrote:
                  Hi all,

                  the intention of the sentence "The declaration [editor
                  todo: add xref here]
                  does NOT cover those XPath extension functions and XPath
                  functions of other
                  namespace must be always understood by WS-BPEL processor"
                  is totally
                  unclear. Therefore, we propose to amend [b] in the
                  following way:

                  [from]

                  WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension function of
                  other namespace
                  available. The declaration [editor todo: add xref here]
                  does NOT cover
                  those XPath extension functions and XPath functions of
                  other namespace must
                  be always understood by WS-BPEL processor. If
                  unrecognized XPath function
                  is used and if it is detected by static analysis, the
                  process defintion
                  MUST be rejected.

                  [to]

                  A WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension functions of
                  other namespaces
                  available. If XPath extensions functions of other
                  namespaces are used, then
                  these namespaces MUST be
                  declared as WS-BPEL extension namespaces with the
                  mustUnderstand attribute
                  set to "yes" (see Section 14. Extension Declarations). If
                  a WS-BPEL
                  Processor does not support one or more
                  of these XPath extension namespaces then the process
                  definition MUST be
                  rejected. This requirement MUST be statically enforced.

                  Cheers
                  /Simon
                  Simon Daniel Moser, M.Eng.
                  Business Process Solutions Development 1
                  IBM Boeblingen Laboratory
                  Schoenaicherstr. 220, 01/086
                  D - 71032 Boeblingen
                  Tel.: +49 - 7031 - 164304
                  IP Telephone Number (ITN): 39204304
                  email: smoser@de.ibm.com

                  Rule of thumb #3459835478: when you find yourself
                  typing/copying the same
                  thing more than twice in a row, redesign or re-implement.
                  No excuse
                  possible.

                               Danny van der

                               Rijn

                               <dannyv@tibco.com
                               >                         Alex Yiu
                  <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                  cc
                               06/21/2006 10:28
                  wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Thomas
                               PM
                  Schulze/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, Dieter

                  Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, Diane
                                                         Jordan
                  <drj@us.ibm.com>, Peter
                                                         Furniss

                  <peter.furniss@erebor.co.uk>
                  Subject
                                                         Re: [wsbpel] Issue
                  - 294.2 -
                                                         proposal for vote

                  For part [b] I would change:

                  These extensions are defined in the standard WS-BPEL
                  namespace.

                  to read:

                  These extensions are defined in the standard WS-BPEL
                  *executable*
                  namespace.

                  Alex Yiu wrote:

                        Hi, all,

                        Here is the formal proposal for vote for issue
                  294.2:  Clarification
                        namespace usage in Abstract and Executable Process:

                        ======================================
                        [a]
                        At the end of  Section: "13.1.1. URI",
                        --------------------------------------

                        The Abstract Process syntax is denoted under the
                  following namespace:

                        urn:oasis:names:tc:wsbpel:2.0:process:abstract

                        --------------------------------------
                        add:
                        --------------------------------------
                        The Abstract Process namespace URI does not apply
                  to <property>,
                        <propertyAlias> and <service-ref> elements. That
                  means, these
                        elements are not declared in the Abstract Process
                  namespace and MUST
                        be always identified with Executable Process
                  namespace URI, even when
                        used in the context of Abstract Processes.

                        Similarly, any XPath function defined by this
                  specification are
                        always identified with Executable Process namespace
                  URI, even when
                        they are used in an expression in an Abstract
                  Process.
                        --------------------------------------

                        [b]
                        Also formally incorporated the text suggested in
                  action item #74:

                  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=1434

                        After these paragraph:
                        --------------------------
                        The following XPath extension functions are defined
                  by WS-BPEL and
                        MUST be supported by a WS-BPEL implementation:
                        · getVariableProperty, described below
                        · doXslTransform, described in section 8.4.
                  Assignment
                        These extensions are defined in the standard
                  WS-BPEL namespace.
                        --------------------------

                        Add clarification text on XPath extension function
                  for other NS, as
                        follows:
                        --------------------------
                        WS-BPEL processor MAY make XPath extension function
                  of other
                        namespace available. The declaration [editor todo:
                  add xref here]
                        does NOT cover those XPath extension functions and
                  XPath functions of
                        other namespace must be always understood by
                  WS-BPEL processor. If
                        unrecognized XPath function is used and if it is
                  detected by static
                        analysis, the process defintion MUST be rejected.

                        Also, the XPath extension functions, as always
                  required by XPath
                        semantics, MUST not perform any side-effect
                  operations visible to the
                        WS-BPEL process.

                  TC that generates
                  this mail. You may a link to this group and all your TCs
                  in OASIS at: