Subject: Issue - 294.1 - Proposal for Vote

Hi All,

I have exchanged some notes with Dieter. I am OK with picking [B] as well. Given that, here is the revised proposal, which Dieter considers a friendly amendment.

===========================

We would have 4 XSD artifacts which can be used by public:
(1) One XML schema for validation of WS-BPEL 2.0 Executable Processes
(2) One XML schema for validation of WS-BPEL 2.0 Abstract Processes common base
(3) One XML Schema for "property" and "propertyAlias".
(4) One XML Schema for "service-ref"

Note:
  • If some XSD definition and declaration can be used between in (1) and (2), it will be factored into a "core" XSD file.
  • (2) is defined for the A.P. common base. There may be additional XSD for different abstract process profiles.
  • All 4 XSD has its own target namespaces, which are potentially derefereneable. Details of the namespace is TBD. We will confirm it by holding a simple vote for Issue 289.
  • We are leaving out "GED-vs-LED" issue out of resolution text.
===========================

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
Definitely a friendly amendment - thanks!

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
             29.06.2006 04:07                                           cc
                                       Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.1 -
                                       Proposal for Vote

Hi Dieter,

I am OK with picking [B] as well. Given that, here is a revised proposal.
Hopefully, you would consider a friendly amendment. If so, we can send the
following out as the proposal to the public email list:

===========================

We would have 4 XSD artifacts which can be used by public:
(1) One XML schema for validation of WS-BPEL 2.0 Executable Processes
(2) One XML schema for validation of WS-BPEL 2.0 Abstract Processes common
base
(3) One XML Schema for "property" and "propertyAlias".
(4) One XML Schema for "service-ref"

Note:
      If some XSD definition and declaration can be used between in (1) and
      (2), it will be factored into a "core" XSD file.
      (2) is defined for the A.P. common base. There may be additional XSD
      for different abstract process profiles.
      All 4 XSD has its own target namespaces, which are potentially
      derefereneable. Details of the namespace is TBD. We will confirm it
      by holding a simple vote for Issue 289.
      We are leaving out "GED-vs-LED" issue out of resolution text.
===========================

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
      My preference is [B]:
       - WSDL extensions are separated from the WS-BPEL language
       - The service-ref element is not part of any language
      (compatibility considerations do not apply as the namespace changes
      anyway
      in WS-BPEL 2.0).

      Kind Regards
      DK

       Dieter König                                Mail:
      dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

       Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49)
      7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

       Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49)
      7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

       Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49)
      7032-201464  Germany

                   Alex Yiu

                   <alex.yiu@oracle.

                   com>
                                             Dieter
      Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                   28.06.2006 00:05
      cc
                                             wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org,
      Alex
                                             Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>

      Subject
                                             Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.1 -

                                             Proposal for Vote

      Hi Dieter,

      Thanks for being flexible on this "GED-vs-LED" issue.

      Even though  I still think that GED design pattern is very much
      preferred
      over LED and GED will be used as much as possible similar to the
      Schema for
      WSDL 2.0 and Normative Schema for XML Schema 1.0, ...  I totally
      agree with
      you that that we should take this "GED-vs-LED" issue out of
      resolution text
      .

      Given that I would suggest some further clarification/amendments to
      the
      proposal:

      For (1) and (2):
      -----------------------------
      (1) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of Executable Processes
      (2) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of Abstract Processes
      Base

      Note:
            If some XSD definition and declaration can be used between in
      (1) and
            (2), it will be factored into a "core" XSD file.
            (2) is defined for the A.P. Base. There may be additional XSD
      for
            profiles.
      -----------------------------

      Then, the next point that that I would like to mention is: IMHO, we
      should
      maintain a relation between one target namespace, one XML Schema (or
      one
      set of XML Schema files connected by <xsd:include>). Because, the way
      that
      we did it in BPEL 1.1 is a bad practice of schema and I have not seen
      similar patterns in the other specs. As I mentioned, BPEL 1.1 way to
      split
      one namespace into multiple *disconnected* schema documents, similar
      having one package of Java classes archived into multiple jar files.

      If people agree with that I say so far, there are two ways for us to
      maintain this cleaner relationship between namespace and schema.

      Decision points: whether we want to keep "property", "propertyAlias",
      "service-ref" in the same namespace of the Exec BPEL.

      If yes, [A] I would suggest to declare those 3 elements into XSD of
      (1) as
      well.

      If no, [B] I would suggest:
            To have one namespace in "property" and "propertyAlias", e.g.
            ".../wsbpel/property.xsd"
            To have one namespace in "property" and "propertyAlias", e.g.
            ".../wsbpel/service-ref"
            Then, we have two more XSD files.

      I don't have a strong preference between [A] and [B]. They are both
      OK to
      me as long as we don't need to spilt the XSD of the same namespace
      into
      multiple disconnected pieces.

      Further thoughts?

      Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
            Alex, minimizing the number of GEDs is preferable, however, we
            believe that
            it is more important to get to a resolution at this point in
      time.

            Kind Regards
            DK

             Dieter König                                Mail:
            dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung
      GmbH

             Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office):
      (+49)
            7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

             Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office):
      (+49)
            7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

             Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office):
      (+49)
            7032-201464  Germany

                         Alex Yiu

                         <alex.yiu@oracle.

                         com>
                                                   Dieter
            Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                         26.06.2006 21:39
            cc

      wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org,
            Alex
                                                   Yiu
      <alex.yiu@oracle.com>

            Subject
                                                   Re: [wsbpel] Issue -
      294.1 -

                                                   Proposal for Vote

            Question:
            Your proposal does not mention the GED-vs-LED decision issue.
      Did you
            make
            it silent intentionally?  Or, your team may still have a
      preference?

            Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
                  Hi Alex, can you elaborate which part is not clear from
      your
            point of
                  view?

[...]

                               23.06.2006 21:52
                  cc

            wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org,
                  Alex
                                                         Yiu
            <alex.yiu@oracle.com>

                  Subject
                                                         Re: [wsbpel] Issue
      -
            294.1 -

                                                         Proposal for Vote

                  Hi Dieter and others,

                  Part of this proposal is not that clear about its intent.

                  Upon receiving clarification, I may need to make some
      amendment
            or
                  submit a brand new proposal.

                  Dieter Koenig1 wrote:

                        Based on the issue 294.2 resolution proposal, we
      propose
            that
                        the WS-BPEL
                        XML Schema artifacts are restructured as follows:

                        Submitter's proposal:

                        Refactor the WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema artifacts into
      the
                        following:

                        (a) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of
            Executable
                        Processes
                        (b) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of
      Abstract
                        Processes
                        (c) One WS-BPEL 2.0 WSDL extension XML schema for
            validation of
                        Properties
                        and Property Aliases - same target namespace as (a)
                        (d) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for Service
      Reference
            variable
                        declarations
                        in Executable or Abstract Processes - same target
            namespace as
                        (a)

                        Note: the target namespace values for (a) and (b)
      are
            valid
                        URLs that can
                        point to the location of the two artifacts,
      respectively.

                        Kind Regards
                        DK

                        Dieter König                                Mail:
                        dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com

                  IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

                        Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel
      (office):
            (+49)

                  7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

                        Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax
      (office):
            (+49)

                  7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

                        Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel
      (home
            office):
                        (+49)

                  7032-201464  Germany

      the
            OASIS TC
                        that
                        generates this mail.  You may a link to this group
      and
            all your
                        TCs in

                  OASIS