Subject: Proposal: "code freeze"

Per discussion at the beginning of today’s call.

I’d like to propose the TC consider a code freeze (as Ron aptly put it).   This means we would not open any existing issues or raise any new issues for any reason – essentially drawing a line in the sand so that we can publish a Committee Draft out and move to a Public Review.

As Alex correctly stated  we were supposed to have a feature freeze a year ago.  While this generally happened, I’d like to also propose a “Q/A freeze” so that we can establish a shipping schedule and stick to it.  I’d prefer to try and get this done by the end of the calendar year.  My biggest concern is the new IP Rules that kick in on 4/2007 – we should really try to get done before this hits.

I believe that calendar year end is an ambitious, but achievable deadline.

Here are some recommended milestones to consider – please review and comment  (all dates are merely suggestions at this point):

  • Code freeze: 7/19/2006
  • Updates to Committee Draft and Schema are completed: 8/2/2006
  • Draft for 60-Day Public Review: 8/9/2006 – 10/4/2006
  • F2F to review Public Comments: 10/9/2006 – 10/11/2006
  • Committee Specification: 11/1/2006
  • Vote for OASIS Standard: 11/8/2006
  • OASIS Standard: 12/2006 (depends upon Committee Specification vote)

John