Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - R15 - Fix description of abnormal processcompletion (suggestion to update proposal)

I'd stick with your original.  As I pointed out in my email which crossed yours, the meaning of successful completion is already twisted, with no effort on your part ;-)

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi all,

FYI ... another paragraph in section 11.6.2 describes the relationship between "complete" of an activity and "fault" ... But that is specific to <scope>.

After a bit more thinking, I don't want to accidentially twist the meaning of "complete". Hence, I want to amend my own last suggestion by add "i.e." or "that is".

The process ends normally when the main activity of the process completes (i.e. without propagating any fault).

Thanks again!

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi all,

About the "complete" wording in section 5.5 in the context of "Fix description of abnormal process completion" issue discussion, I have crossed checked with section "11.6.2. Link Semantics" (about <flow> and <link>). The following phrases are used:
"When activity A completes, the following steps MUST be performed to determine the effect of the links on other activities: ..."
(I guess that may open up another question for clarification: when an activity such as <invoke> faults, would it be considered completed in the context of links evaluation? My guess is no. But, I cannot find any explicit text so far. Anyhow, that would be another issue.)

Anyhow, in order to avoid similar guess work from readers, I guess it may be to say the following in the proposal of Issue 15:
The process ends normally when the main activity of the process completes without propagating any fault.

Thoughts?

Submitter's proposal:

Change paragraph in Section 5.5 FROM:

A business process instance ends either normally or abnormally. The process ends normally when the main activity of the process completes. The process ends abnormally if either:
  • a fault reaches the process scope, regardless of whether it is handled or not (see section 10.10. Immediately Ending a Process – Exit), or
  • the process instance is explicitly ended by an exit activity (see section 10.10. Immediately Ending a Process).

TO:

A business process instance ends either normally or abnormally. The process ends normally when the main activity of the process completes. The process ends abnormally if either:

  • a process level (explicit or default) fault handler completes or
  • the execution of a process level fault handler itself faults (the effect of this particular case is similar to an <exit> activity or
  • the process instance is explicitly ended by an exit activity (see section 10.10. Immediately Ending a Process).