Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - R29 - Partner link's initializePartnerRole attribute

Hi,

Yaron's intent was clearer during parts of discussion.
However, the wordings that got passed are made more implicit due to compromise.
During the F2F of Stuttgart, some people asked more clarification. And, we did try to make the intent of that attribute a bit more clear.

[Another email on this thread will be sent out in a moment.]

Mark Ford wrote:

I did a little digging through the issues list and meeting minutes to see where the initializePartnerRole attribute came into the spec. Here’s the original issue: http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html#Issue139.1

The text for this issue was added to the spec in version 1.77: http://wsbpeltc.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/wsbpeltc/specifications/wsbpel-specification-draft.doc?revision=1.77

One of the points of contention with this attribute is that partner link initialization through EPR schemes like WS-Addressing are grouped in with initialization through an <assign> activity. It’s worth noting that the final proposal for 139.1 did not introduce this concept. In fact, the intent of 139.1 was the exact opposite. Initialization through an EPR scheme would be considered something that the BPEL programmer would want to declare as a requirement for deployment. This was the intent according to Yaron’s emails related to the issue (i.e. http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200506/msg00047.html). As it turns out, the adopted resolution is not explicit with regard to defining how a partner link gets initialized and why a programmer would want to use this attribute. While it seems clear from the emails what the intent was, it didn’t make it into the spec text.

This was changed in version 133 by grouping partner link initialization through WS-Addressing was with initialization through an <assign>. This was during the face to face in Stuttgart so it’s possible that it was discussed in the room but I don’t see any record of it nor do I recall any references back to 139.1.