Subject: RE: [wsbpel] follow up question from the webinar

Hi David,

It can be used for either. A number of implementations also support standalone deployments along with deployment to a framework/appserver.

Workflow requirements:
User defined workflow

- Many products provide this functionality (including Adobe LiveCycle), although it is not specified in BPEL itself. Inclusive in these products’ workflow features are the following:

o       Multiple approval levels

o       Each level assessed out of order (eg parallel workflow) and be bi-directional

o       Directed to individual or group (eg role)
.

Timeframes for redirection of task based on days/hours.

- Timeouts are explicitly supported in BPEL. Workflow features based on a BPEL engine would necessarily support duration (days/hours elapsed) and deadline (datetime to complete) timeouts. A number of products support relative (e.g. complete on the first Thursday of each month) timeouts as well.

Graphical monitoring of processes during runtime.

- Monitoring features are not part of BPEL, but are necessarily a feature of many BPEL and workflow products (including Adobe LiveCycle).

Email advice to undertake task

- A general requirement of products providing workflow functionality (including Adobe LiveCycle). Many BPEL products support this as part of their workflow features.

In summary, many implementations of BPEL have an integrated workflow solution available from the vendor or which otherwise sits on top of the BPEL engine. BPEL itself does not specify workflow functionality, but such features can be built on BPEL, and so many vendors provide them as a matter of course.

-Charlton.