Subject: Re: [wsbpel] wspbel 5/1/2007: Draft Primer Comments for WS-BPEL v2.0

Hi Monica, I made updates in chapters 3-5 according to your comments - see
also some answers below (marked <dk>).

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                          Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member         Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
                                                                             Johann Weihen

 Architect, Business Process           Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
 Choreographer

 Member, Technical Expert Council      Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

                                       Schönaicher Strasse 220, 71032        Registergericht: Amtsgericht
                                       Böblingen, Germany                    Stuttgart, HRB 243294

             "Monica J.
             Martin"
             <Monica.Martin@Su                                          To
             n.COM>                    wsbpeltc
             Sent by:                  <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>, Ron
             Monica.Martin@Sun         Ten-Hove <Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM>
             .COM                                                       cc

                                                                   Subject
             02.05.2007 03:13          [wsbpel] wspbel 5/1/2007: Draft
                                       Primer Comments for WS-BPEL v2.0

Related to:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/download.php/23797/wsbpel-primer-draft.doc

   1. Reference to design goals: There are goals we have yet to (or may
      not soon achieve). I suggest we state generally our overall design
      goals and then the result we have today or delete this section.
      For example, even though we have compensation, we do not address
      its relationship to transactionality - this is a separate discussion.
   2. Section 2.3 jumps into differences with technical details too
      quickly. May wish to place this later in the primer (think about
      audience and then target where it should go).
   3. Section 3.1: Abstract process may not be a subset (i.e. abstract
      process may result in many executable completions and then
      executable processes). It could go either way. Uncertain this
      statement is required.
<dk>I do not agree on this one - all executable completions can only *add*
to the abstract process - in this sense, "subset" is appropriate</dk>
   4. Section 3.4.3: Change from: "The parallel variant is discussed
      further in the rest of this primer document". Change to: The
      parallel variant is discussed in more detail later.
<dk>done</dk>
   5. Section 3.4.4: Move this statement up where you introduce
      transition condition and talk about links (page 21~), "Transition
      conditions offer a mechanism to split the control flow based on
      certain conditions."
<dk>revised text in the earlier section</dk>
   6. Section 3.4.6: "As it can be seen in the example, a fault handler
      can have to types of children:..." to=>two
<dk>done</dk>
   7. Section 4.1: Introduce loop counter variable without explaining
      what it is. Same with suppressJoinFailure. May need to check the
      document overall to see if this is true in other cases and/or
      sections.
<dk>added description to 3.4.4. and references in 4.1</dk>
   8. Section 4.1.3 and 4.1.4: Explain what compensate and
      compensateScope are here somewhere (you talk about but don't
      differentiate).
<dk>added explanation in 4.1.4</dk>
   9. Section 4.2.5: May wish to state if message activities are
      ambiguous, we do have standard faults that handle. Here we state a
      case on how to alleviate.
<dk>no change - the ambiguity resolved by messageExchanges is not subject
of a standard fault - see static analysis rule SA00060</dk>
  10. General:
          * Audience target: This is targeted to IT folks not business
            analysts. Look at how you jump into technical details
            quickly. Suggest you qualify the audience or concentrate on
            those that are most relevant to this document (system
            integrators, developers, etc).
          * Suggest to read specification first or used as a cross
            reference - suggest this be stated early in the document
            (particularly if you look at current Section 2.3 and the
            angle brackets showing up almost immediately).

Will continue - stopped at top of Section 4.3. Thanks.