Subject: [Fwd: Re: Additional Editorial Comments for BPEL Primer]

--- Begin Message ---
Monica,
I'd suggest sending this to the TC list because we're hoping to approve the primer tomorrow and it would be good for folks to see the "trail" of events around any changes above what was decided on at the call last week.
Charlton and Dieter,
Any chance we could get these done today so I can send a link to the latest version to the TC?

Thanks for all your efforts on the primer
Regards, Diane
IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709

"Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Monica.Martin@Sun.COM

05/07/2007 06:58 PM

Dieter Koenig1 <dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com>, Diane Jordan/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Charlton Barreto <cbarreto@adobe.com>
cc
Subject
Additional Editorial Comments for BPEL Primer

As requested, here are a few minor suggestions:

  1. (Dieter) On IMA comment I made for Section 4.2.5, if there are
     issues with open IMA and exceptional conditions, we do have a
     series of defined faults. That is the reason for my comment. So,
     we have IMA for pairing and faults when things go awry.
  2. Section 4.3: For: "The main difference compared to the flow
     activity is that the number of parallel branches is not known at
     modeling time." Perhaps we should acknowledge that the parallel
     forEach is like creating an implicit flow of <forEach> children
     with an important distinction (see above), so folks are aware it
     shares characteristics flow as well.
  3. Section 4.7: English usage
         * Change from: The result of such updates performed on BPEL
           variables cannot always be guaranteed to be valid according
           to the WSDL message or XML schema type/element the variable
           is declared with.
         * Change to: The result of such updates performed on BPEL
           variables cannot always be guaranteed to be valid according
           to the WSDL message or XML schema type/element with which
           the variable is declared.
  4. Section 4.8: This is a bit awkward wording (spec is clearer)
         * Change from: "Scopes contained in isolated scopes must have
           their isolated attribute set (or defaulted) to “no”,
           however, access to shared variables from within such
           enclosed scopes is controlled by the enclosing isolated
           scope as well."
         * Change to: "Access to shared variables from within an
           enclosed scope is controlled by its enclosing isolated
           scope. The enclosed scope must have its isolated 'no'."
  5. Section 5.2: Same as 4.8
         * Change from: ..."The following sections describe the Common
           Base defining the basic syntax requirements for all abstract
           processes and Abstract Process Profiles defining the allowed
           subset of the common base and allowed executable completions."
         * Change to: ..."The following sections describe two key
           Abstract Process concepts: the Common Base and Abstract
           Process Profiles. The Common Base defines the basic syntax
           requirements for all abstract processes. Abstract Process
           Profiles specify the allowed subset of the common base and
           allowed executable completions."
               o Note: Decide if upper case Common Base or lower case
                 common base throughout.
  6. Section 5.2.3: Off kilter - either give a bit more detail on
     template and a brief example or shorten the description of
     observable behavior. Leverage details in Section 13.4 in the
     specification.
  7. Section 6.1.3: English usage
         * Change from: "Before writing the WS-BPEL process definition,
           a WS-BPEL target namespace URI for it needs to be decided upon."
         * Change to: "Before writing the WS-BPEL process definition, a
           WS-BPEL target namespace URI for it should be [defined]decided."
  8. Appendices: Note, on normative references in appendices: Can we
     just point to the references in the specification document and
     only list other important referenceable ones here (referenceable
     for information). I am uncertain how this is addressed where you
     have an informational document; normative references allowed?

--- End Message ---