Subject: Lets take some time to get on the same page...

Hi,
I must apologize to all the newer members of our group. I seem to have been
trying to pick up the threads of a conversation that we had been having in
our previous incarnation as the Management Protocol TC.

I think that it might be beneficial to us all to make sure we are all on
the same page when we talk about management of and using Web services, the
W3C MTF work, the GGF work, and the DMTF work in this same space.

I have a presentation I would like to go over on our call this week that I
think defines the Web services and Management space along with a review of
the work of the Management Task Force in the Web Services Architecture
Working Group at the W3C and a short overview of GGF and Grid work in this
same space.  I have posted this in the documents area of our OASIS web
site.

Chair-hat-off: I think there is a lot of work we can do for management of
Web services, including defining the information model and understanding
its relationships to the rest of the Web services architecture. I do
certainly believe that we want to use Web services to access that
information, but standardization of the information model is valuable as
well as it allows vendors with existing proprietary infrastructures, or
SNMP or CIMOMs, to go ahead and start developing suppport for managing Web
services.

I agree that managing Web services using Web services is our end goal, but
an information model for managing Web services is a reasonable first step.

Chair-hat-on: I think that feedback from the TC indicates that it might be
beneficial for us to spend some time as a group defining the boundaries of
our work and then perhaps split energies at some point in the future. I
agree this is a good idea regardless of which topic is developed first.

So, please forgive my bumbling last week,

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572