Subject: Re: [wsdm] Requirements for Management of Web Services

Pankaj,

One point I didn't see discussed here is the need for providing guidance
to developers of Web Services and Web Services standards on implementing
management data.

It seems to me that various services will want to make use of an
existing SNMP MIB or DMTF CIM or else develop their own.  For instance,
I don't know what needs to be managed for Office Applications or whether
the DMTF has addressed it or whether the Open Office XML Format TC will
address it, but at some point the management information for such a Web
Service should be defined.

I would think this group would want to make sure the structure supports
the additional management information specific to that resource or Web
Service.  In particular, for the MOWS document, I would like to see
something about this.  Maybe something like:

12.  Should specify the interface or framework for accessing management
information specific to that resource or Web Service, to allow the
developers of Web Services to give management software access to that
management information in a standard way.

What do you think?

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org