Subject: Re: [wsdm] Terminology in the requirements

Title:
Igor, et. al

Although I agree with your general comment that we don't want to limit ourselves to a traditional agent based model, I do not agree with your interpretation of what a managed object means.  In fact, the term "managed object" is used to generalize on the manageability representation and interfaces of a resource that is managed without promoting an agent based or agent less model and I don't interpret the use of "managed object" as you described it.

Nonetheless, I'm not religious about these things.

Cheers,
H.
--

Sedukhin, Igor S wrote:
Terminology in the requirements

We have a problem in agreeing to the requirements that state "managed object MUST expose <whatever>". It prescribes certain way of doing management. These requirements are on the "The software component representing or part of the manageable resource responsible for interacting with the manager is referred to as the managed object in this document. Traditionally, such software is also known as agent."

We do not want to be limited by defining requirements on management using agents as suggested.

We propose to use more generic phrasing around ALL of such requirements. For example, We propose to phrase it as follows "<whatever> MUST be provided for a manageable resource". This phrase says WHAT instead of implying HOW.

PS. By "we" here I mean CA. And this is a violent objection :).

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

M. Homayoun Pourheidari
Web Services Management Operation
HP OpenView Division