Subject: RE: [wsdm] Terminology in the requirements

Andrea

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of using capability was to define a capability in the context
of management as being either provision of information or actions for
management purposes. I agree capabilities and current configuration are
different things. I see current configuration of the manageability, not
the resource itself, as manageability meta data (see below) and wasn't
trying to use capability in that context. I was also trying to be
consistent with consensus reached in the W3C MTF and the WSA terminology
in their glossary (http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-ws-gloss-20030808/).

I do have a concern with "capability" being used in the way it is the
final definition you added. A capability defined as "THE POSSIBLE
MANAGEABILITY INTERFACES, THEIR CONFIGURATION AND INFORMATION THAT CAN
BE EXPOSED THROUGH THESE INTERFACES". If I understand this right , it
sounds like information about the manageability rather than information
about the resource and is in effect manageability meta data (I wasn't
completely sure this is what you meant as the definition says "AND
INFORMATION THAT CAN BE EXPOSED THROUGH THESE INTERFACES" and I wasn't
sure if the information you refer to was restricted to configuration of
manageability only).

We can either move to the more definitive examples you have or perhaps
define what mean by a capability in the context of management, then use
the term throughout the other definitions. We will need to differentiate
between management information pertinent to the resource and the
manageability itself however.

Thoughts?

Mark/