Subject: RE: [wsdm] Long-lived interactions requirement proposal

I'm generally ok with these two requirements being in the section 2, except the phrase "control of the current sessions of a service". I think this is getting too crazy. After a while we're going to want to control CPU cache via "manageability representation" for a WS that is not performing well :).

There is no value for federated management of WSs in controlling at this level of granularity. We need to make high-level processes manageable! That is the pain point I heard about.

The fine granular control of the WS is in the application management department. You can control sessions of the servlet that implements the WS, for example. I don't know why I would want to control sessions of the MapPoint service that my application may be using.

I understand, though the value of providing information on which session which message was processed in. So, I'm ok with that part of your requirements. Ability to define per session metrics is fine too.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: VAMBENEPE,WILLIAM (HP-Cupertino,ex1) [mailto:vbp@hp.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 4:43 PM
To: 'wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org'

Hi all,

As agreed during the conf call on Thursday, here is a proposal on how to add support for services involved in long-lived interactions to our MOWS requirement doc.

Regards,

William

Proposal:
---------

In the glossary: Remove all references to conversations and define a session as "a set of related messages (sent or received by the service) and their context".

In the requirements list (section 2), add:

- The manageability representation MUST allow monitoring (including state and access to messages) and control of the current sessions of a service.
- The manageability representation MUST allow metrics to be defined at the session level.