Subject: RE: [wsdm] [UPlat] Action items for next weeks meeting

As noted on the call my concern about collection is that this definition does not say about query, add/remove operations or other attribution of the collection (e.g. number of items property). I believe that to be more important than an esoteric "aggregation/broadcast". The later could be a feature after the basics of a collection is established.

Therefore I propose this definition. "A collection is a set of references to the elements with operations defined for adding, removing and querieing the contents of the collection. In addition the number of items in a collection can be obtained. A manager could use or expose a collection of manageable resources. The intention is to be able to represent and operate a collection of Web services via Web services protocols."

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-Seattle,ex1) [mailto:bryan.murray@hp.com]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 3:41 PM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Included is my homework. I did not find a glossary for MUWS, but some of the terms I use come from the glossary for MOWS. I also recommend that we add a definition for 'manager'.

Addressing

1) Addressing is the ability to reference another entity. One examples of where a reference is required is in a relationship to refer to the entities that have an association with each other. Another example is to refer to the Web service where asynchronous notifications should be sent. In general, the Web service exposing the manageability interfaces for a resource may need a reference to the resource. Since not all resources are Web services, a reference must be defined such that non-Web service entities can also be referred to. The special case of referring to a Web service entity should refer to the WSDL for the Web service such that a manager can choose which Web service endpoint it wants to send messages.

2) Addressing is required to provide references to other entities. Other entities may include resources, Web services, WSDL documents, policy descriptions, as well as other documents and services. Addressing defines the mechanism used to specify the reference. Management using Web services requires a standard mechanism for referring to other entities.

Collection

1) A collection is an entity which acts as a proxy to zero or more other entities. A manager can send a single request to a collection where the result is that zero or more members of the collection are acted upon as specified in the request. The members of a collection are managed entities in their own right and have their own management interfaces. The result of a manager sending a single request to a collection must be the same as a manager sending a separate message to each of the selected members of the collection individually. It is not necessary that the collection actually send separate messages to each of its members, only that the result to the members is the same. A collection provides a mechanism to perform the same action on many managed entities at once, and acts as one scalability mechanism in a management system.

2) As the number of managed resources grows, it becomes more important for a management system to provide a mechanism to allow a manager to perform the same action on many resources at once. For instance, with a collection a manager can query for the state of all resources in the collection at once rather than one at a time. Also, it is possible for a collection to reset the state of metrics for the resources in the collection using a single request. A collection provides the ability for a management system to scale much better than a system not supporting collections. Also, there are cases where the exact membership of a group is better known by an entity, such as a collection, that may be closer to the group than a manager. This allows the manager to defer to the collection to determine the exact entities to act upon.

I will be out of the office for the next 2 weeks, but hope to be able to discuss this when I return.

Bryan