Subject: DCML

Hello,

To follow up on Heather's question at the last conference call, I
thought the concluding paragraph from an InformationWeek article to be
interesting.

http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306189
==========
Standards make the most sense when it comes to the data-center
management tools needed to tie together servers, storage, and networking
into the much-anticipated utility computing model, Haff says. The
management software available today from HP, IBM, Sun, and others can do
high-level management--checking CPU use and whether the operating system
is up or down, for example--but the ability to dynamically reallocate
system resources across different server platforms or create virtual
servers requires a level of integration and sophistication not yet
available from a single management tool. Says Haff, "None of the systems
vendors can manage third-party products with the same thoroughness and
depth they can manage their own products."

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org