Subject: RE: [wsdm][UPlat] namespaces and versioning

Apologies, to Scott. My original e-mail is a reply to BrianC :). Jet-leg...

I have something for you, Scott, as well :). You said [I do not believe the bad practice of namespace birthdays or evolution schemes should be promoted by a standard.]

Well, XML standards e.g. XML Schema, WSDL, BPEL, etc, all follow exactly that "versioning" approach by defining a namespace e.g. http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema. So, why is it bad to promote? Is there a better approach?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Scott Hinkelman [mailto:srh@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 11:05 AM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S
Cc: Brian Carroll; homayoun@hp.com; wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Igor,
Where did I say that?

Scott

------------
Scott R. Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer IBM Software Group Emerging Technology Strategy - Industry Initiatives
Office: 512.823.8097 (TL 793.8097)
Cell: 512.415.8490

|         |           "Sedukhin, Igor  |
|         |           S"               |
|         |           <Igor.Sedukhin@ca|
|         |           .com>            |
|         |           11/06/2003 09:10 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "Brian Carroll" <Brian.Carroll@merant.com>                   |
  |       cc:       <homayoun@hp.com>, <wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                 |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsdm][UPlat] namespaces and versioning                                                    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Scott,

You said
[My concern about the use of targetNamespace is because that scheme is used to provide a version number for an XML document.]

This is NOT so. We should not be mixing xmlns="aaa" and targetNamespace="aaa". The former is the one you're referring to, the later is NOT. targetNamespace is used to denote where do the elements declared in that document belong to.

For example, targetNamespace of a XML Schema or WSDL document is marking the elements (or concepts) that are being defined, not the document itself.

<schema xmlns="XML Schema" targetNamespace="My Data Types" ...

This is what is expressed in the specs.

[But many of the aspect we will want to version, such as port type, message, etc. can be expressed in 1 or more XML documents, such that there is not an obvious 1-1 mapping between a targetNamespace and each of these aspects of a web service.]

The documents in which declarations are expressed have nothing to do with the actual targetNamespace. One could safely express multiple concepts (e.g. interfaces and services, etc.) with the same targetNamespace and import them as necessary. The namespace of those documents will always be the same -- the standard WSDL namespace.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)