Subject: Re: [wsdm][OMod] Updated Mows data model with versioning

Sorry to reply to myself.  (no I'm not! ;-) )

Thus quoth Fred Carter (~ 11-Nov-03 11:07 AM ~)...

> [On OMod call, I expressed concern about the knowledge within a
> versioned component of its revision since that wants to know about
> successor, etc.]
>
> Might we improve things by changing the arrow between "versioned
> component" and "revision" labeled "has" to 1) point the other way, and
> 2) be labeled "represents".  Then the "version tracking subsystem" is
> separate and pointing into the WSDL stuff, not the other way around --
> and doesn't require the changing of an old version to make a new one...

Assuming picture change is acceptable, updates to your wording follow.
I've also attempted to separate the notion of namespace [representing
only "sameness"] from versions, /per se/ -- following some of the
comments in this thread.

The elements of the Web services architecture, expressed in WSDL, could
be versioned. For example description, interface, service and endpoint
could be defined in their own namespaces (not necessarily the same). The
namespace differences represent that associated component is different.

In this case, the difference is one of version.  Therefore, those
elements, conceptually become versioned. For example a versioned service
is a service that is also a versioned component that has a version
attribute.  Note that the "versioned component" is a primarily a
conceptual notion, not necessarily represented by any structural element
of a WSDL description.

However, a versioned component is represented by a revision. Revisions
are related to each other via changes that happened between revisions.
Each revision will be associated with a versioned component. Each change
indicates a predecessor and successor (if any) revisions. Each change
may aggregate multiple change descriptions. Each change description may
be looked at as a document or a separate statement of some sort (e.g.
"new interface was implemented").