Subject: Re: [wsdm][uplat]meta data definiton

I attempted to capture at least my suggestions...  Hope this helps....

/fred

Thus quoth M. Homayoun Pourheidari (~ 12-Nov-03 6:29 PM ~)...

[...]

> what?
>
> Meta data is generally defined as data about data. In the context of
> management, it is additional information about all the components of an
> information model that describe a managed resource.  These components
> include: attributes, operations, events, interface categories, and the
> service representing the managed resource.  Meta data may include
> descriptive information about the context, quality and condition, or
> characteristics of the data.

> why?
>
> In IT management, it is important to describe data in richer ways so
> that it can ultimately be linked to the business goals that drive the
     (strike the word "business")
> existence of the source of this data.  For example, information like
> limitations, purpose, context, quality,  and characteristics of
> management data as an associated piece of that data will help to
> describe how the data is related to the business objectives of an IT
     (strike the word "business")
> environment.  Meta data is one of the means through which such
> descriptions are provided.

     (moved from the previous paragraph)

> In the context of management, Meta data values can include units,
> volatility, modifiability, aliases, policies, duration, etc. For
> example, Meta data values for attributes can include units,
> volatility, modifiability, aliases, and policies and Meta data values
> for operations can include endstate, policies, etc. Meta data should
> be introspectable at design time and runtime.

     (Additional junk I think I said on the call...)

In the management space, the manageability capabilities are likely to be
provided by a number of different providers. That is, the management
space is likely to be an integration issue. To aid the manageability
consumer in integration the information from these dissimilar sources,
the metadata is of increased importance.

/fred

--
Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.

mailto:fred.carter@amberpoint.com