Subject: RE: [wsdm] Definition of the identification manageability capability

I still did not read why opaque identifier is REQUIRED to make the WSDM 0.5 interop scenario work. Your explanation sounds like "we need it for the principle". Could you explain why the scanario will not work if we didn't have opaque identifier in March 04?

I believe that a reference to an endpoint is sufficient for WSDM 0.5.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-Seattle,ex1) [mailto:bryan.murray@hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 12:29 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S; VAMBENEPE,WILLIAM (HP-Cupertino,ex1); John DeCarlo
Cc: WSDM TC

The March release will include portions of MUWS as well as portions of MOWS.
MUWS needs a way to identify a resource that is globally unique and constant over time in order to determine whether 2 resources are the same. This identifier is opaque because it is meant to be used to differentiate between different resources - it is not meant to be used to locate the resource.

MOWS uses MUWS to manage web service resources. Thus, MOWS will use the MUWS mechanism to identify resources. The proposals we have seen so far do an adequate job of defining the type of this 'resource identifier'.

MOWS can add additional identity properties to help a manager understand what it is managing, but at the core, the globally unique id is sufficient to let the manager know that different resources are being managed if their ids are different.

Bryan