Subject: Re: [wsdm] Discovery of manageability endpoint

Thus quoth Sedukhin, Igor S (~ 11-Dec-03 9:23 AM ~)...

> [...]
> ALL of the following possible solutions, however pick one for the
> interop event show run.
>
> Possible ways to discover manageability endpoint
>
> 1. description of the manageability service (possibly with a set of
> manageability endpoints) is embedded in the same WSDL along with
> functional service with its endpoint(s). The manager detects
> manageability service/endpoints by verifying the operation signatures
> (WSDL 1.1) or interface extension tree (WSDL 2.0).
>
> 2. The functional endpoint is ALSO a manageability endpoint (i.e.
> implements functional and WSDM operations). In this case manager has no
> confusion and issues management related requests to the same endpoint
> that functional requests are issued to. The precise implementation of
> such could be in the same code; the container that adds management
> operations at the deployment time automatically; an intermediary that
> appends manageability operations, sits in the message path and takes
> care of management requests on behalf of the functional endpoint; etc.
>
> 3. Both functional and manageability endpoints are published into the
> same UDDI. For every service binding (UDDI) an instance info contains a
> set of tModels each with a pointer to an overview document (WSDL). There
> could be (and usually are) multiple tModels for a given UDDI binding.
> First instance info tModels has to be describing a functional endpoint
> (UDDI requirement). Other tModels could be describing things like
> security token service, etc. Therefore, description of the manageability
> endpoint could also appear as yet another tModel in the instance info
> list of a given UDDI binding. Manager merely investigates all tModels in
> an instance info list looking for those that implement WSDM
> manageability interfaces (WSDL 2.0) or manageability operations
> (checking signatures in case of WSDL 1.1).
>
> 4. Manager could use relationships: query at runtime or read from
> descriptive metadata. This is yet to be discussed.
>
> Possible ways to establish which manageability endpoint manages which
> functional endpoint, given WSDL descriptions of both endpoints.
>
> A. The manager establishes associations between functional and
> manageability endpoints by exercising identification manageability
> capability on the manageability endpoint (requests at runtime) and
> compares the returned reference to the given WSDL information.
>
> B. The manager establishes associations between functional and
> manageability endpoint by comparing a WSDM-specific tag on the
> wsdl:endpoint elements. For example <wsdl:endpoint name="Functional"
> wsdm:target="urn:abc">, <wsdl:endpoint name="Manageability"
> wsdm:target="urn:abc">
>
> C. Manager could use descriptive metadata e.g. relationships or
> otherwise. For example <wsdl:endpoint name="Manageability"
> wsdm:target="urn:abc"> … <wsdm:target uri="urn:abc"
> service="s:MyService" endpoint="Functional">. Or similar metadata-based
Or even the more pedestrian "name it" approach:
     <wsdl:endpoint name="foo" wsdm:MgmtEP="http://..."/>
or, better yet (arguably),
     <wsdl:endpoint name="foo1"
        wsdm:MgmtEp=".../M-ilityEndPoint.wsdl#port(mgmtsvc/mgmtport)"/>
(where that last thing is the xPointer way of naming a port in a wsdl
file, the WSDL file being that of the management endpoint in question.)

--
Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.

mailto:fred.carter@amberpoint.com
tel:+1.510.433.6525 fax:+1.510.663.6301