Subject: RE: [wsdm] Action Items (RE: [wsdm] Uploaded and updated MUWS 05-20040216)

Title: Message
Bryan,

If we had Relationships capability, I would mention that instead of MOWS identification. Right now it is the closest we can get to explain that point.

I would not add query of interfaces at runtime. This is not management related and also induces even more complexity on providers of manageability in order to simplify life for the managers. I believe managers must be able to process WSDL document and match QNames of messages to manageability operations and capabilities. If at all, then standards e.g. WS-MetatadaExchange may be used to convey descriptions at runtime. May be we can see what we do about this in 2.0 timeframe.

On the interface description part. Yes that is possible to lookup for interface QName in WSDL 2.0. However right now with WSDL 1.1:
    1. WSDM provides portType descriptions of various capbilities. Such portTypes group opertions.messages togeher. Each message has a GED QName (the one that appears on the wire).
    2. Actual manageability service also resolves to a portType which is likely to be custom. Managers have to match GEDs to GEDs in 1 to find out what operations and what capabilities are present. Managers are allowed to fail the discovery if partial capabilities are implemented.

May be I should add the above clarification to the writeup...

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-Seattle,ex1) [mailto:bryan.murray@hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 10:59 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S; Andreas Dharmawan; VAMBENEPE,WILLIAM N (HP-Cupertino)
Cc: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Igor,

Good write up.

I have some comments about the Discovery section. I think the discovery we are talking about is for discovering both the manageability endpoint and the manageability resources. For this reason, I don't think we should mention the MOWS identification capability as that is more closely associated with the business capabilities of the Web service. However, it does bring up the point that we may want to "discover" the manageability interfaces by sending messages to the manageability endpoint. Do we want to add a query for the WSDL URL to the manageability interface?

In part 3 of the Discovery section, you refer to searching for known QNames of manageability operations. Isn't it the manageability interfaces we are interested in and not individual operations? Even in the prerequisite section you talk about getting the descriptions of interfaces. An interface is associated with a capability, an operation is only part of a capability. Once you know that a manageability endpoint supports a capability you know it supports all of the operations defined for that capability.

Bryan