Subject: RE: [wsdm] [muws] comments on MUWS spec

Hi Jeff,

> If a WSDM client understand semantically what muws:Unavailable and
> mows:TransportUnavailable means, then what is the advantage of being
> able to get to that starting with a axis:TomcatHTTPListenerDown? Why
> can't both the WSDM client and service use
> urn:mows:TransportUnavailable? After all the service knows it's
> returning a TransportUnavailable condition and the client knows it's
> receiving a TransportUnavailable condition, so why all the extra
> complexity?

Because there is additional semantic in axis:TomcatHTTPListenerDown that
would be useful to someone who understands the axis namespace. A
management console who gets this and knows how to manage Axis will know
where to go next. If it just got a mows:TransportUnavailable, some of
the information available at the manageability endpoint and that could
be useful to the manager would be lost.

In your proposal, you are basically saying people should not create new,
domain-specific, states and should stick to WSDM-defined states to make
sure everyone understands them. I think we need to provide support for
people to add states in separate namespaces while linking these states
to existing states to allow interop with people who don't understand the
new namespace.

Yes, if you want to take advantage of this feature you will need to
process XSD declarations. But:

- you are not forced to do it, you can treat the Qnames just like you
would treat URIs if you'd like (binraly understand/don't understand)
- XSD tools will do this automatically for you (which is why I added the
requirement that import statements provide a location, allowing XSD
tools to retrieve all that is needed to tell you all about the QName)
- It doesn't have to happen at each invocation, it is likely that in
many case the manager would retrieve a list of all states supported by a
managed resource, resolve them to Qnames it understand, cache this info,
and never have to worry about doing this XSD processing anymore for the
rest of its interactions with the managed resource

Finaly, what is the "exclusive canonicalization" issue you mention? It
is the fact that the prefix of Qnames is not fixed? Schema processors
can deal with that.

Regards,

William