Subject: Re: [wsdm] Discovery Scenarios [fred]

John DeCarlo <jdecarlo@mitre.org> wrote on 05/21/2004 10:48:24 AM:

> Tom Maguire wrote:
>

> > John DeCarlo <jdecarlo@mitre.org> wrote on 05/21/2004 09:24:58 AM:
> >

> >>+1 from me, too.
> >>
> >>If WSDM specifies a "TellMeWhatResourcesYouProvideManageabilityFor"
type
> >>of operation, it would have to be optional (except in some profiles,
> >>should we get there).
> >

> > +1  However, I'm not sure that WSDM needs to define this
> > interface.  WS-ServiceGroup should be investigated to see if it fits
the
> > bill.
>
> I thought that was one of the reasons to submit WSDM requirements to the
> WSRF TC.

If there is an existing interface that may fit the bill I'm not sure what
we are asking WSRF TC to do with the requirement.

> [snip]
>
> >>And maybe eventually the description might well say it is deprecated
> >>because of the full adoption of Service Groups or other registry
> >>mechanisms (or relying on a notification infrastructure) for Manageable
> >>Resources.
> >

> > ServiceGroup is just an interface why would we not adopt it now?
>
> I don't see why not.  Just not sure I understand would it would take to
> adopt it.
>
> For instance, having this hypothetical operation return a Service Group
> makes a lot of sense to me.  Then all the features of a Service Group
> can be leveraged, such as treating it as just another type of registry.

That is certainly one approach.

> OTOH, requiring that each Manageability Provider register every
> manageable resource with a third party that will create a Service Group
> out of it may not be the way we want to go initially.

Not suggesting that it is necessarily a third party.  It could (in simple
cases)
be implemented (if the implementer so chose) on the same endpoint as the
management interfaces.  This would essentially provide a query and
retrieval
mechanism for "related" WS-Resource and their respective EPRs.

T o m   M a g u i r e

STSM, On Demand Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY  12601

internet:                 tmaguire@us.ibm.com
phone:                     845.433.9401 (t/l 293-9401)